FS: A/C Solutions Sanden R134a Conversion Kit

Buy, sell, or trade parts.
lswoboda

Re: FS: E28 Sanden R134a Upgrade Kit

Post by lswoboda »

Austin is still making the kits.

I follow him on Instagram and he frequently posts updates on the kits.

I think the website is www.acsolutions.co. It’s not a .com, just .co

I have the kit and it works great.

Good luck!
austin_caccavo

Post by austin_caccavo »

Kink wrote: Mar 18, 2022 9:27 PM Is this kit still available? the website link is down.
My apologies - I just updated my original post in this thread with the new URL (www.acsolutions.co). If you have any questions, please let me know!

+ thank you @lswoboda!
Smintner

Post by Smintner »

My 86' e28s AC ran just fine with 134a after just replacing the drier. I don't see the need for a complete replacement.
MyE24

Post by MyE24 »

Smintner wrote: Mar 19, 2022 5:52 PM My 86' e28s AC ran just fine with 134a after just replacing the drier. I don't see the need for a complete replacement.
In Wisconsin?
austin_caccavo

Post by austin_caccavo »

Hey everyone - I deeply apologize for missing all the important questions on this thread! I need to update my notification settings for mye28 :shock:

To start, the past 2 years managing this business has been flat out incredible. What started as a passion project has become an international endeavor, and I'm blown away by the amount of support, feedback, and love throughout this community - so thank you!

While a lot has changed since the first iteration of this product, I want to go line-by-line to help answer any/all questions (shortened some replies for simplicity). If there's anything I missed, please don't hesitate to reply all or email me at info@acsolutions.co.
topher800 wrote: May 15, 2020 10:02 AM Austin did point out in an Email that the "fuel cooler will need to be capped off at the firewall and removed".
Correct - the factory fuel cooler design on the 535i/is is incorporated into the suction line, so in order to fit the new R134a lines, you will need to remove/cap the fuel cooler loop.
Zeuropa wrote: May 15, 2020 6:53 PM Why is it not compatible with 533i/B32?
Initially, this was due to the lack of a test car, but as we have learned early model cars (aka 533i) will need the later engine bracket P/N 64521284953.
Ordnator wrote: May 16, 2020 12:00 PM I am aware that there may be some subtle differences between the RHD and LHD install and would wish to de-risk this before pulling the trigger on one of your kits.
Would you be able to e-mail me some photographs of a complete installation, in a LHD E28...I would like to be able to purchase with confidence.
We have had several customers install this kit in RHD M535i's, euro 535i's, and euro RHD M5's with great success so far! However, given the model differences, I always recommend RHD customers to reach out before placing an order. As for photos, please check out our latest product page to see the kit installed in my '88 M5 https://www.acsolutions.co/products/bmw ... ersion-kit
Profile36 wrote: May 18, 2020 5:39 PM 1. What is the size of the condenser you are offering? Can you tell us who make it?
2. What is the system capacity increased to using your kit?

Would you be willing to offer the lines for sale separately?
  • The core of the condenser is 16"x18" and manufactured by UAC. The final assembly (brackets, etc) is all done in house
  • System capacity will vary by model, but we've found that 1.91lbs +/- 0.05 (R134a) is appropriate for the M30 based cars
Absolutely willing to sell lines separately, but it's important to understand that everything is designed to work together and therefore I cannot guarantee the fitment among a custom installation.
Foonfer wrote: Oct 20, 2020 4:15 PM Also, please clarify if the Sanden compressor included in Option B is a brand-new unit.
All components supplied are brand new and unused. As part of our 2022 product line changes, we are suppling new, OEM, green label, Sanden 5HD14 compressors with every order (previously using UAC/blue label overseas units). All compressors (new and existing) are backed with a 1 year warranty.
Smintner wrote: Mar 19, 2022 5:52 PM My 86' e28s AC ran just fine with 134a after just replacing the drier. I don't see the need for a complete replacement.
While this is not the solution for everyone, functional A/C differs greatly from efficient A/C. Using an R134a specific Sanden compressor, larger parallel flow condenser (necessary for the use of R134a), new R134a soft lines, and all the necessary supporting components, this upgrade has been throughly tested to provide colder A/C vent temperatures (compared to an R134a charge in an R12 system), significantly less strain on the engine (quieter) using a more efficient compressor design, and an overall more durable A/C system.
MyE24

Re: FS: A/C Solutions Sanden R134a Conversion Kit

Post by MyE24 »

That kit looks nicely put together and fairly priced for someone who can’t or doesn’t want to put together their own kit.
I did a complete R134 redo on my E24. I have a lot of experience and put together my own kit, but even with experience, it’s quite a bit of work and time to put together a DIY kit. Many different vendors, design and fabrication of custom brackets, many trips to the hardware store, etc. The kit here would save many hours, and a good deal of frustration for a first timer.
A couple things I’d add to the kit, though. While the system is open, I’d definitely take out the evaporator, flush it, and use a new expansion valve. Do that, flush all the hard lines, and then you’ve done the job 100%. The expansion valve (and the evaporator too) is a commonly clogged part, esp on a R12 to R134 converted system and a 35 year old car. If the evaporator and/or the expansion valve is clogged or not working properly, you will not get good cooling.
I’d also replace the stock aux fan with a modern Spal high flow fan. You have to take the old fan off when you’re putting in the new PF condenser, and imo it doesn’t make sense to reinstall the old, heavy inefficient fan. Air flow through the condenser is key in hot weather, and the Spal is $150 well spent if you’re going to do a conversion.
Kink

Post by Kink »

I just installed Austin's kit on a 86' 520i that I just sold, the install on the kit it's self was a breeze.
the hard part was pulling the evaporator and flushing it, as well as the hard lines, and installing a new expansion valve, and while being that deep into the system replacing as much of the foam as possible and cleaning everything.
The result was better than expected, it passed the test of LA heat with flying colors, I'm jealous of the new owner getting experience the car with fully functioning AC. I'll be installing this kit on my e23 As well as my next e28.
austin_caccavo

Post by austin_caccavo »

Kink wrote: May 18, 2022 7:00 PM I just installed Austin's kit on a 86' 520i that I just sold, the install on the kit it's self was a breeze.
the hard part was pulling the evaporator and flushing it, as well as the hard lines, and installing a new expansion valve, and while being that deep into the system replacing as much of the foam as possible and cleaning everything.
The result was better than expected, it passed the test of LA heat with flying colors, I'm jealous of the new owner getting experience the car with fully functioning AC. I'll be installing this kit on my e23 As well as my next e28.
Thank you for the kind words! Glad to hear everything worked smoothly on the 520i. Please let me know if we can help with the E23 kit (it's certainly in the cards).