FS: Windshields

Buy, sell, or trade parts.
alpinass

FS: Windshields

Post by alpinass »

I picked up a few Windshields (after market) good quality. Just installed one in my car. Green stripe at the top. $225

Bonsaibacker

Re: FS: Windshields

Post by Bonsaibacker »

Very interested. Where are you located (shipping would be an arm and a leg!)?

EDIT:
Just saw the license plate on your spoiler post. Thanks Anyway.
Spen

Post by Spen »

Paul any brand idea? I need a windshield for my junk piece e28. Honestly do! I can get glass local FYG fuyao which honestly probably is fine.
alpinass

Post by alpinass »

Shipping no idea...I realize that it could be expensive. These are for more of the local e28 guys. I have one SOLD. Can get a quote just to see.
It is a VG Quality - I have not seen any pitting or movement. I have power washed my car twice. NO leaks. IF you have a local glass shop that can order you an e28 Windshield...go for it.
These are getting hard to find. I have 3 e28 projects. These also fit e12's.

Paul
Spen

Post by Spen »

I read on the internet a glass guy suggests red rubber grease on the seal. This rubber grease is available on ebay. I'd guess on the pinch weld and seal inside and glass to seal. Apply A medium light coat on each surface. Of course repair minor rust when glass out somehow. Bare metal fix plus epoxy primer and air brush might be the best in spots that need. Anyway I will try rubber grease next. Might keep thr rubber "wet" and have a semi permanent moisture seal for backup. I am ready to try it. Beamer did use some sort of bedding compound.
amagansa

Post by amagansa »

Is this located in NorCal or SoCal?
alpinass

Post by alpinass »

SoCal...Can meet you within a few hours.
BONDOSPECIAL

Post by BONDOSPECIAL »

For people wondering about brand - there is a DOT # printed in one of the lower corners (or sometimes in the lower center) of any windshield, which can be looked up to tell you who made them. Most aftermarket classic car windshields I have seen are DOT-459, which is made by FYG (Fuyao). FYG makes excellent quality aftermarket glass. That would be my guess who made them, but a check would tell.
Spen

Post by Spen »

I would also personally plug fyg because fuyao I believe is even making OEM windshields and remember just because it's made in China doesn't make it bad. so is your iPhone frankly I think once you get through the shity manufacturing beginnings of an emerging economy you know if the US doesn't have the manufacturing Clout anymore you might get a worse product from the US sad as it is to say. My experience so far has not been extensive but Sunex tools are Taiwanese and boy they are strong so not exactly mainland China but Roc nonetheless and word on the street is Taiwan Uber China as a general rule of thumb I'm going to try out an fyg windshield in my 28 locally I think will report back
John in VA

Post by John in VA »

Fuyao makes the side window glass in our 2013 F30. They also have manufacturing hubs in Moraine, OH and Mt. Zion, IL
Spen

Post by Spen »

I'd guess quite a bit of fuyao glass is American made perhaps depending on domestic demand and so forth. I recall stories of made in Japan was a joke til they came into their own. Harbor freight tools from 5-7 years ago have improved greatly. I'd bet most professional outfits are using some hf tools for quick spray painting jobs and etc. I love my titan 1.8mm aperture spray gun (siphon feed) for shooting glue. Glue never seems to dry out inside. It's been months still totally liquid. I'd bet my memory serves as pure Chinese. Poor bastards tho with their social credit system.
BONDOSPECIAL

Post by BONDOSPECIAL »

The DOT # will tell you where it is made in addition to the name of the manufacturer

http://www.carwindshields.info/dot_db
cek

Post by cek »

There are at least two sizes of e28 windshields available. The OE spec from St Gobain/Selkirit, and any aftermarket. The aftermarket glass is slightly smaller at the top and results in poor seal at the top corners. I was able to get my glass guy to put some cord in the top corners of an aftermarket in an attempt to get it to seal tighter but it's a hack and I'll be replacing it with a St Gobain asap.
gunner2

Post by gunner2 »

Were you able to find the glass you were looking for cek? I am in the market for front windshield while my old one is out.
Ordnator

Post by Ordnator »

Acquired 3 St Gobain green with green top tint front windscreens from Ivo back in 2017.

Fitted one to the Diamantschwartz Eta and one to the Zobelbraun Eta with out any issues or leaks. The bronzitbeige Eta with receive the third screen when it has been painted after the body restoration.

Recommend the St Gobain screen and Ivo without hesitation.

Regards,

Mick
ThaiTalion

Post by ThaiTalion »

Where can I get my hands on a windshield?
iamcreepingdeath

Post by iamcreepingdeath »

Any updates on shipping? I need a windshield.

Also, to echo other posters, how do I obtain a St Gobain or whatever windshield? Who is Ivo?
John in VA

Post by John in VA »

iamcreepingdeath wrote: Mar 03, 2021 12:49 PM Who is Ivo?
https://www.e28.nl/en/
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

But don't count on Ivo shipping any anytime soon.
ThaiTalion

Post by ThaiTalion »

Check with glassfinders.com

They found me an aftermarket new windshield.
alpinass

Post by alpinass »

These windshield fit better than OE - contrary to the board comments (peanut gallery). Always a 'negative' comment it will never change on this board....I think I call them 'Haters'. I recently sold $6500 in Euro parts and NO complaint's. FUYAO are the brand - but if you can get the OE windshield...go for it. I have 3 in stock. Good luck in your search - I have windshield boxes with special foam padding to ship.
Spen

Post by Spen »

I will update this thread if I can with FUYAO fitment on my end as I also purchased a FUYAO and they're hard to get anywhere I believe.. I have a broken original windshield in my e28. Lol. Paul's fitment looks super on his photo. I am hesitant to believe the fitment issues everyone is talking about without experience myself, and Paul's glass looks super and i want to try one out myself! Fuyao is a premium manufacturer even if the name is less appealing to Americans who want that "German / European quality".