Holy Grail Labs - M30B35 Intake Manifold Bracket

Buy, sell, or trade parts.
cek

Re: Taking Orders: Bracket for B35 Intake Manifold

Post by cek »

Frankly, I don't know.

What I do know is that on B34s, the BMW engineers saw the need to provide two steel support bars up above, I addition to that small lower bracket. Then, on the B35, they got rid of the top supports and provided the very beefy cast aluminum support below.

My bracket, made of 1/8" steel will be far stronger than the thinner B34 lower support. I have attempted to fabricate it such that it directly replaces the cast aluminum part, but using steel.

I can only speculate why BMW choose to engineer such robust support. Metal fatigue from vibration? Protection against attempts to lift engine by intake? Who knows. It is likely over-engineered. I like that, and want my b35 to be as robustly engineered.
cek

Post by cek »

UPS just notified me that the package from eMachineshop.com was delivered to my house about an hour ago!

I'll post pics & results asap!
TheGraye28

Post by TheGraye28 »

What happened to ASAP?! ;)
cek

Post by cek »

The UPS shipment was for something else. Tracking # still says 7/16.
cek

Post by cek »

The prototype was home when I got back from DC yesterday.

This is why you make prototypes.

The angles are perfect, but I they made the bends in the wrong direction thus the offset is reversed. I'm pretty sure this is their mistake. I'm also not happy with the amount of overhang at the top. I will be making those tangs not stick out so much by making the distance between the bends slightly shorter. The strength of the bracket is exactly as I expected. The 1/8" steel is hefty. The machining work is high quality. These will turn out great!
az533

Post by az533 »

Thanks for all your work on this.
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

If it's not too late, I'll take a bare one please.
Heathcliffe

Post by Heathcliffe »

Ill take one! Lemme what know what I gotta do to confirm and pay. Thanks
cek

Post by cek »

Quick update:

I submitted an updated design today. It turns out that the fact they bent it backwards WAS their fault. I didn't provide machinist notes indicating the part was asymmetric and they just assumed it was. They should have machined it precisely to my specifications which called for bends in a specific direction. Anyway, the good news is they are taking care of it and I got to tweak the design a little bit as well.

I'm hoping they'll expedite this second prototype order. As of now I won't get the part until 8/4.

I also figured out how to setup a little e-commerce page to handle orders using Amazon's checkout services (Checkout By Amazon). It literally took me 30 minutes and I have a page that will let you pick whether you want bare metal or zinc and quantity. You can then pay using your Amazon account. Once I have the parts in hand I will post up the link and start taking orders. I don't want to collect any money until I'm 100% sure the parts will work.
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

cek wrote:I also figured out how to setup a little e-commerce page to handle orders using Amazon's checkout services (Checkout By Amazon). It literally took me 30 minutes and I have a page that will let you pick whether you want bare metal or zinc and quantity. You can then pay using your Amazon account. Once I have the parts in hand I will post up the link and start taking orders. I don't want to collect any money until I'm 100% sure the parts will work.

Will you add me to the list, please?
ch5588

Post by ch5588 »

Hi,
Please count me in for one. Thanks a lot.
cek

Post by cek »

1st 5er wrote:
cek wrote:I also figured out how to setup a little e-commerce page to handle orders using Amazon's checkout services (Checkout By Amazon). It literally took me 30 minutes and I have a page that will let you pick whether you want bare metal or zinc and quantity. You can then pay using your Amazon account. Once I have the parts in hand I will post up the link and start taking orders. I don't want to collect any money until I'm 100% sure the parts will work.

Will you add me to the list, please?
The list really provides a way for me to track interest at this point. If you want one of these, stay subscribed to this thread and when I post the ordering page, go to it and click.

But I'll keep updating the list...
cek

Post by cek »

I got the revised prototype today (and emachineshop.com took care of the costs of making this second one since the problem with the first was really their fault).

A quick test fit on the old B34 shows that the holes are lined up perfectly. This weekend I will install it on the B35 and verify it's perfect. If that goes well then I'll be able make the final order by early next week and within 3 weeks the full batch should be here!

Enchanter

Post by Enchanter »

Please count me in for 1 if possible. Thank you -
cek

Post by cek »

The prototype fits.

I need to make a few minor adjustments, that won't require another prototype. I will make the top holes 4mm shorter and reduce the overhang of the top tabs. I will make the lower tab about 2mm longer and move the hole down the same amount. I will make the bottom hole 4mm shorter.

bkbimmer

Post by bkbimmer »

Kyle in NO wrote:I'm curious as to why the bracket shown in the s
econd picture in this thread is not completely sufficient for its intended purpose? Looks stronger than what you mocked up as well, since its a straight piece of C-channel versus a bent piece of flat bar. I have had the B34 piece on my B35 manifold for years with no issues.

Never will be an issue unless you jump your car 50ft in the air.
cek

Post by cek »

bkbimmer wrote:
Kyle in NO wrote:I'm curious as to why the bracket shown in the s
econd picture in this thread is not completely sufficient for its intended purpose? Looks stronger than what you mocked up as well, since its a straight piece of C-channel versus a bent piece of flat bar. I have had the B34 piece on my B35 manifold for years with no issues.

Never will be an issue unless you jump your car 50ft in the air.
I did that twice just this morning.
cek

Post by cek »

I've decided to do a 3rd prototype order. I am not happy with a couple of things with the current design and fixing them correctly made me have to change geometry (the angle of the bends, length of the long side, and placement of the holes). While I was super careful and I actually used math (Actually, I cheated: http://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculato ... eorems.php) I don't want to order the full order if there's any risk that I didn't get it exactly right.

Given eMachineShop didn't charge me for the 2nd prototype my costs will still be at such a point that the end-cost to all of you will still be in the $30/per range. The only downside is that it will be another 8-9 days from now until I can place the final order, pushing us to late August for availability.

Here's what the new design looks like.

The keen eye will notice that the holes are shorter all around, the long side is slightly longer, and the bottom tab is shorter. This will reduce the overhang at the top and make the bracket be more vertically oriented (handling the 'weight' of the manifold even more stoutly).

cek

Post by cek »

Just got notification that the new prototype shipped today. Should have it Saturday...
cek

Post by cek »

Sorry folks, but I'm going to have to do one more prototype. The latest version fits, but just barely. I need to move the lower bend up and shorten the lower tab.

I guess my trigonometry is not what I thought it was.

Thanks for being patient.
cek

Re: Bracket for B35 Intake Manifold - 9/5/14: Production!

Post by cek »

Woo-hoo.

Got prototype # 3 today and it fits perfectly. Finally nailed it.

Test fit on a B34:

Installed on Vlad's B35:

I am not going to actually start taking people's money until I have the final units here. I need to calculate final pricing and will do so once I actually make the production order.
cek

Post by cek »

I've ordered 50 units. When they arrive (approx 2 weeks) I will take half and send them for yellow/zinc plating.

I am configuring a website for ordering.

Once I have the parts in hand I will turn on the little web store I've created for ordering these and share it here.
Last edited by cek on Nov 23, 2022 9:00 AM, edited 1 time in total.
cek

Post by cek »

The brackets have arrived!

Art:

I will try to get the order page up and going tonight or tomorrow!

It will be another few weeks for the zinc plated variants.

Thanks for your patience.
Rich in Tupelo

Post by Rich in Tupelo »

For those that pre-ordered, any special notations on the order page? Or, should we paypal you directly (if so, please post paypal info)?

Thanks
cek

Re: Bracket for B35 Intake Manifold - Order NOW!

Post by cek »

deleted.
Last edited by cek on Nov 23, 2022 9:00 AM, edited 1 time in total.