DAVID PEPIN

Re: PEDAL BRACKET Reinforcement / repair - REV. 5-welded tab

Post by DAVID PEPIN »

Jerry, have not received a email from you, please check email and resend
David
WalterH

Post by WalterH »

Shipped fast, installed in about an hour or so - pedal feels great! Thank you!
Strawman

Post by Strawman »

Just sent payment for a welded tab revision 6 bracket reinforcement through PayPal. The chassis is a 1985 524td that I'm swapping the gasoline engine & 5-speed manual trans from a 2001 330i. Thanks!
DAVID PEPIN

Post by DAVID PEPIN »

Plenty of REV #6 brackets in stock now, can ship ASAP
David
MisterFixit

Re: PEDAL BRACKET Reinforcement / repair

Post by MisterFixit »

Strawman wrote: Aug 23, 2021 7:20 PM ... 1985 524td that I'm swapping the gasoline engine & 5-speed manual trans from a 2001 330i. Thanks!
Whoa Nelly! THAT ought to make the driving experience lean a bit more toward the "Ultimate" side of the equation! That horse(power) deserves some oats and molasses, apples, carrots, sugar cubes, and hold on to your hat!

Is this swap posted / documented in the "Tech Talk" folder? I would be interested in the saga...

Andy
Alberto89

Post by Alberto89 »

Hey guys, I had my cylinder replaced last week because it was leaking minimally.

The garage found that there was a crack in my pedal box, and according to them the entire dashboard would have to be removed for a new one. So welding was the best option. So they did this too. I've never heard of this problem before. Now I come across these posts. My question now is, has welding been sufficient, and can a bracket for extra reinforcement be placed in the future?

When I feel with my finger on the back where the weld is, it is at least oblique, and not 100% back as original, but 95. Is this bracket recommended?

My idea was initially (and also from the garage) that it is because of my very hard clutch (I will have this replaced next year because it is very hard, and the release bearing can be heard). I don't want to drive it anymore for this reason because I'm afraid it will tear again.

See the photos before and after welding.

Thank you very much for your answers!

Ps: I have the idea that my clutch pedal has become a little harder after replacing the cylinder and welding (and it was already very hard to press)
willyv124

Post by willyv124 »

Finally got my bracket installed. Took probably 3 hours spread across a few days because of how tight/frustrating working that small area can be. Also unsurprisingly I found one of my bolts on my supporting bracket was missing a nut from the previous owner. So I'm glad the kit included the serrated nut.

First step was to move the nut we'll be replacing to the missing spot.

Had to get this flex extension from autozone and route it through this hole in brake pedal.

You can see the hole in the top left here

With the socket going through

Nut moved

Also not sure if this was obvious to everyone else, but to make it easier to access the stock bolts on the master cylinder you can remove the accelerator pedal bracket/level from its mounting holes p/n 35411151271

Bracket installed

I was lucky with no preexisting crack. It feels slightly stiffer but could be placebo. Mostly have peace of mind that it wont crack in the future.
elgarcia

Post by elgarcia »

Fast shipping and great quality. Fit perfect. Thanks again Dave
kodachrome

Post by kodachrome »

As a sanity check, can anyone confirm this will not fit on and is not needed on the early manual pedal box set (which has the master cylinder mounted in the chassis, not on the pedal box and is overall 10x the price of the later one)?

I ordered this kit ages ago and went to fit it and found my car doesnt have this bracket at all.
Alberto89

Post by Alberto89 »

Alberto89 wrote: Oct 24, 2021 5:47 PM Hey guys, I had my cylinder replaced last week because it was leaking minimally.

The garage found that there was a crack in my pedal box, and according to them the entire dashboard would have to be removed for a new one. So welding was the best option. So they did this too. I've never heard of this problem before. Now I come across these posts. My question now is, has welding been sufficient, and can a bracket for extra reinforcement be placed in the future?

When I feel with my finger on the back where the weld is, it is at least oblique, and not 100% back as original, but 95. Is this bracket recommended?

My idea was initially (and also from the garage) that it is because of my very hard clutch (I will have this replaced next year because it is very hard, and the release bearing can be heard). I don't want to drive it anymore for this reason because I'm afraid it will tear again.

Ps: I have the idea that my clutch pedal has become a little harder after replacing the cylinder and welding (and it was already very hard to press)

Can someone give me an answer to this question please?
Ibmotoren

Post by Ibmotoren »

Alberto89 wrote: Jan 29, 2022 7:19 PM
Alberto89 wrote: Oct 24, 2021 5:47 PM Hey guys, I had my cylinder replaced last week because it was leaking minimally.

Can someone give me an answer to this question please?
You might get more help if you start a thread in the Tech Talk section. You’ll get a lot more attention there. The majority of the guys who can answer your question probably aren’t checking in on this thread because it’s a parts for sale thread, been around for 9 years, and they already have the bracket and don’t want to read about guys asking if it’s still available, etc. Just my 2 cents.
kodachrome

Post by kodachrome »

I was asking the seller though..!?
I also emailed and PM'ed him.
DAVID PEPIN

Post by DAVID PEPIN »

Never heard of the dash having too be removed, mostly just the drivers seat, you can add my reinforcement bracket later, i would check the alaignment of the clutch lever too the master cylinder eye, you can bend the lever a little after you too take the bolt out, i thought i sent you a pm, David
kodachrome

Post by kodachrome »

Hi David... How about my question?!
rata3

Post by rata3 »

Hi Jerry, I'm rata3, Carlos Espinosa. Do you remember me?
DAVID PEPIN

Post by DAVID PEPIN »

Brackets still available, revision #6 is thicker, P S
I am not selling these clutch reinforcement brackets through ireland engineering! There part is not the same as the Roth Bracket and the hardware is differant and no tab,
David
krellboy

Post by krellboy »

I guess this post serves as the answer to the PM and personal email I sent.....DAVID

I wonder which of the members would be the best resource to read up on the diagnosis of these clutch type problems.....my car is like many on the board....250000 miles....second clutch, second transmission.

The clutch system has been working quirky lately....gradual and thought maybe it was just me. Seems like the pedal engages many times too close to the floor and just very recently 2 gear (sometimes 1 st) wants to nash and is hard to get into gear....often a double clutch maneuver will get me there. At first when I noticed the quirkiness I just thought it was the clutch being old and worn out. But after browsing thru the two primary threads related to this issue I see that the problems may be three or four fold.....clutch slave, clutch master, flex line, pedal bracket or maybe even the clutch itself.

If any prior subscriber could give me a heads up on the best path to test out the ideas sequentially I'd be very grateful...I'm not much of a diyer and the mechanics around here aren't very receptive to seeing my car show up to work on....and skill set is sketchy anyway.

Still good to know the bracket is still available if I need/want it.....never heard of that problem until a few days ago. Lots of reading to do....hoping I don't screw up my synchros in my tranny in the meantime.

Any input graciously accepted.
lswoboda

Post by lswoboda »

I feel very dense. I went to install this today in my 1988 535is and I couldn’t see where it should go.

My car has the cruise control tab above the clutch pedal, but I couldn’t clearly see where this bracket is supposed to go. I tried to use other pictures to figure it out, too, but no luck.

Does anyone have any picture to get me started to identify clearly where the bracket goes, please?

Thank you in advance.
DAVID PEPIN

Post by DAVID PEPIN »

Look at my post too see where it goes
David
DAVID PEPIN

Post by DAVID PEPIN »

Next batch of parts ready by July 15 2023
Thanks, David
tony-e30

Re: PEDAL BRACKET Reinforcement / repair - REV. 6-welded tab

Post by tony-e30 »

Just installed on my 279k mile 87 535is, and I'm very happy with the results. I installed it at the same time I replaced the clutch primary and secondary cylinders, and maybe there's a placebo effect going on, but the pedal action just feels more solid than it ever did. More importantly I don't have to worry about my pedal bracket cracking. Thanks to David for a great product and for making our community a better place.
DAVID PEPIN

Post by DAVID PEPIN »

Brackets in stock, can ship asap,
Thanks, David
DAVID PEPIN

Post by DAVID PEPIN »

BUMP for brackets in stock,
Can ship ASAP,