Coolant drain

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Patrick McHugh

Coolant drain

Post by Patrick McHugh »

Is there a way to drain the coolant from the radiator and block without spilling it all over the freaking universe?

Let me know.
ahab

Post by ahab »

I use an inverted Water Wetter bottle as a funnel, with the bottom cut off at a sharp angle so it wedges in there nicely.
Patrick McHugh

Post by Patrick McHugh »

That is a good idea.
slammin_e28

Post by slammin_e28 »

Do it in a self serve car wash.

:rofl: :rofl:
Patrick McHugh

Post by Patrick McHugh »

slammin_e28 wrote:Do it in a self serve car wash.

You stinker
slammin_e28

Post by slammin_e28 »

Patrick McHugh wrote:

You stinker
Disclaimer: I've never done this. Only known people who have (also changed their oil) :facepalm: ;)
Patrick McHugh

Post by Patrick McHugh »

slammin_e28 wrote:
Patrick McHugh wrote:

You stinker
Disclaimer: I've never done this. Only known people who have (also changed their oil) :facepalm: ;)
Compared the the olden days where everybody did this, a few cooks isn't going to kill mother earth.

How about a petcock?
ahab

Post by ahab »

Compared the the olden days where everybody did this, a few cocks isn't going to kill mother earth.
Fixed
How about a petcock?
Better for chicks
Patrick McHugh

Post by Patrick McHugh »

This is funny even know it's disrupting my thread
Bimmerguy2002

Post by Bimmerguy2002 »

big rubbermaid container

or storm drain
slammin_e28

Post by slammin_e28 »

Patrick McHugh wrote:This is funny even know it's disrupting my thread
Sorry! :oops:

I like the petcock idea personally. Maybe so you can hook a hose up to it similar to brake bleeding?
528elover

Post by 528elover »

slammin_e28 wrote:
Patrick McHugh wrote: I like the petcock idea personally. Maybe so you can hook a hose up to it similar to brake bleeding?
This is a great idea. Is there a metric sized petcock that would fit into the coolant drain plug? I can't remember what size it is? 17 mm?
Mark 88/M5 Houston

Post by Mark 88/M5 Houston »

Inexpensive plastic concrete mixing tray/pan from the big box store.
Model 887102A: $ 12.37 online at Home Depot (20.9 gallon)
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

slammin_e28 wrote:
Patrick McHugh wrote:

You stinker
Hell, I remember signs in rest areas saying do not drain oil on pavement, suggesting gravel areas were ok. And I did use the gravel areas. :laugh:
Frybrid 524td

Post by Frybrid 524td »

528elover wrote:
Patrick McHugh wrote:I like the petcock idea personally. Maybe so you can hook a hose up to it similar to brake bleeding?
This is a great idea. Is there a metric sized petcock that would fit into the coolant drain plug? I can't remember what size it is? 17 mm?
This is what I installed: Autometer adaptor 2267 and a PN 4112T63 from McMaster-Carr. I'll just screw in an 1/8" hose barb with a hose on it the next time I have to drain the block. I also put a similar setup in the bottom of my oil filter housing (M12 x 1.5 to 1/8" NPT). Obviously, this necessitates a skid plate though.
528elover

Post by 528elover »

Frybrid 524td wrote:This is what I installed: Autometer adaptor 2267 and a PN 4112T63 from McMaster-Carr. I'll just screw in an 1/8" hose barb with a hose on it the next time I have to drain the block. I also put a similar setup in the bottom of my oil filter housing (M12 x 1.5 to 1/8" NPT). Obviously, this necessitates a skid plate though.
Thanks! This is very helpful. Is there any reason why a fumoto valve wouldn't work for this application also?

cvillebimmer

Post by cvillebimmer »

Bimmerguy2002 wrote:big rubbermaid container
This works well for me.
Frybrid 524td

Post by Frybrid 524td »

528elover wrote:Is there any reason why a fumoto valve wouldn't work for this application also?
http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com They don't make one in M14 and 1.5mm thread pitch. I didn't use these valves for my oil filter housing because the drain port on the bottom of the housing is recessed slightly and I wasn't sure if a Fumoto valve would be too wide to seal the crush washer. I opted for the Autometer adaptor since I knew it fit well in the recess and would allow for a tight seal, although the the setup is slightly longer this way. YMMV.
WilNJ

Post by WilNJ »

a

Post by a »

I have a large roasting pan that I use. Prolly 14" X 18" It catches most of it , sorta. What spills is biodegradable
528elover

Post by 528elover »

Frybrid 524td wrote:
528elover wrote:Is there any reason why a fumoto valve wouldn't work for this application also?
http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com They don't make one in M14 and 1.5mm thread pitch. I didn't use these valves for my oil filter housing because the drain port on the bottom of the housing is recessed slightly and I wasn't sure if a Fumoto valve would be too wide to seal the crush washer. I opted for the Autometer adaptor since I knew it fit well in the recess and would allow for a tight seal, although the the setup is slightly longer this way. YMMV.
I have a Fumoto Valve (F109N) installed on my oil pan and it works great. You don't need an extension. I haven't had any leaks and it makes changing the oil super easy and fast. I simply hook up some 1/8" clear tubing, put the other end into an empty, plastic 5 qt. oil-jug (w/ cap), open it, and I'm done.

But, a Fumoto Valve (F106N) on the block for coolant drains would be nice. They do make a M14 x1.5 thread. This is for a different vehicle's oil pan, but I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work in the block for coolant. Any ideas on this one?

http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/Produ ... Code=F106N

BTW, the griots garage oil-filter-oil-catcher looks great. Not sure I want to spend money on that, though. Maybe I'll make one out of something. Thanks for passing it along.
Frybrid 524td

Post by Frybrid 524td »

528elover wrote:I have a Fumoto Valve (F109N) installed on my oil pan and it works great. You don't need an extension.
I was talking about the oil filter housing, not the oil pan. I prefer to have a magnetic drain plug in the oil pan drain port as opposed to a ball valve.
528elover wrote:But, a Fumoto Valve (F106N) on the block for coolant drains would be nice. They do make a M14 x1.5 thread. This is for a different vehicle's oil pan, but I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work in the block for coolant.
Cool. I'm not sure why that didn't show up when I searched their site. Oh well, good find. Should work just fine.
Boiwonder

Post by Boiwonder »

so i'm just going to bump this and ask a question instead of starting a new thread... or anything.

i'm going to drain the coolant on my 528e and 535i and my e21. i'm just going off the bentley manual it says that i'm going to need a new gasket for the engine block drain plug, i'm sorry but I can't seem to find the part number for the gasket can anyone help me out with that.

if anyone knows, for the e21 is it the same thing? with drain plug and the gasket and what not...?
Frybrid 524td

Post by Frybrid 524td »

Boiwonder wrote:so i'm just going to bump this and ask a question instead of starting a new thread... or anything.

i'm going to drain the coolant on my 528e and 535i and my e21. i'm just going off the bentley manual it says that i'm going to need a new gasket for the engine block drain plug, i'm sorry but I can't seem to find the part number for the gasket can anyone help me out with that.

if anyone knows, for the e21 is it the same thing? with drain plug and the gasket and what not...?
I can only speak to the E28, but the block drain plug uses a crush washer to seal, not a gasket. If you don't have a new crush washer you can heat up the old one with a propane torch to anneal it and it will be able to be crushed back down again when you torque the plug.
Coldswede
Location: Back U.P. North,. Where the water's blue, the wind is free and seasons four.

Post by Coldswede »

Small and cheap ($6.95), plastic childrens wading pool. Blue with dolphins on it. It even catches about 95% of the coolant out of the block drain!