Tires for e38 Style 5's

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Melspace02

Tires for e38 Style 5's

Post by Melspace02 »

Well I got all the suspension parts and im hoping to have it all done this weekend. Spax springs " Thanks George" and some bilsteins all around. Now im shopping for some tires for my style 5's e38 rims. Im going with 205/55/16's just have a couple options. Here is what Ive narrowed it down to.

Goodyear Eagle RS-A $81 each
Goodyear Eagle LS $88 each
Falken Ziex ZE-512 $80 each
Falken Sincera SN-828 $73 each

Here is a link of the different tires
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direc ... lse&cs=205

I have Falken FKs on my e30, Ive read a lot on bad tread life with the Falkens and Ive had mine for about a year and by May ill need 4 new ones. Just wanted to see what experience you all had with this tire size and what you would recommend. Thanks
Coldswede
Location: Back U.P. North,. Where the water's blue, the wind is free and seasons four.

Post by Coldswede »

You can do much better than those tires you have listed.

Try http://www.tirerack.com/index.jsp and look up what's available in your size and tire type. IE:Summer, All season or winter. In Florida you really don't need anything but a Summer tire.

I'm going to put either:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... &tab=Sizes

or

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... mpare1=yes

on my new to me 16"
Cactus

Post by Cactus »

I second the vote for either continnentals or dunlops.
535is-pa

Post by 535is-pa »

i run 215's they fit perfectly but i couldnt get a 225 on up front without spacers. it might just barely fit but 215's fit perfectly.

running kuhmo ecsta ASX right now for winter tires and i really like them for all seasons, they feel comfy after running pilot sport ps2's or dunlop starspecs in the summer. and they where $100 each and ive gotten over 20k miles out of them so far with about 1/3 tread left. some of those miles where hard...

Son of a

Post by Son of a »

That isn't the proper size tire for those rims. 225/50/16 is and those tires will work without spacers as long as you get the right ones.

Namely BFG G-Force Sports. Tires are 225/50/16.

Currently that exact wheel/tire combo is the summer rubber on my 533i. The BFG G-Force Sports are wonderful tires. Far superior to anything you have listed, and the right size as well.

Its your call, but personally for an e28 I wouldn't put anything but BFG G-Force Sports in 225/50/16 on e38 Style 5s.
535is-pa

Post by 535is-pa »

Son of a wrote:That isn't the proper size tire for those rims. 225/50/16 is and those tires will work without spacers as long as you get the right ones.

Namely BFG G-Force Sports. Tires are 225/50/16.

Currently that exact wheel/tire combo is the summer rubber on my 533i. The BFG G-Force Sports are wonderful tires. Far superior to anything you have listed, and the right size as well.

Its your call, but personally for an e28 I wouldn't put anything but BFG G-Force Sports in 225/50/16 on e38 Style 5s.
ive herd that some 225's fit, but i have 1mm clearance in the front angst the strut with 215's, an worn the paint off the strut there too. i had 225's on my wheels when i bought them and they did not fit. might want to trim your rear wheel arches if your lowered, especially if you have camber corrections.

you can get dunlop star specs in 205/50/16..... it has become the favorite tire in M3 land on most forums. seems to be the best trade off in tread life, grip and price in a summer tire. ill be running them this summer instead of pilot sport ps2's. no review yet from me as there is still snow on the ground......
Son of a

Post by Son of a »

535is-pa wrote: ive herd that some 225's fit, but i have 1mm clearance in the front angst the strut with 215's, an worn the paint off the strut there too. i had 225's on my wheels when i bought them and they did not fit.
This isn't an "I've heard" situation. Its more like an "I put 12k miles on that setup last year" situation. To be clear, only the BFG G-Force Sport (as well as maybe 1-2 other) 225/50/16 tires fit w/o spacers, but they do. I have roughly 1mm of clearance (same as you with a stretched 215). The difference is the tire shoulder/contact patch width, and that is something that cannot be fixed by stretching a narrower tire to fit the rim.

All I am saying is that if you are going to bother to put on an 8" wide rim, you might as well utilize the tire size that best fits it and the car to which you are mounting the wheel. Granted, those options are seriously limited with this wheel, but they do exist.
Melspace02

Post by Melspace02 »

Son of a wrote:
535is-pa wrote: ive herd that some 225's fit, but i have 1mm clearance in the front angst the strut with 215's, an worn the paint off the strut there too. i had 225's on my wheels when i bought them and they did not fit.
This isn't an "I've heard" situation. Its more like an "I put 12k miles on that setup last year" situation. To be clear, only the BFG G-Force Sport (as well as maybe 1-2 other) 225/50/16 tires fit w/o spacers, but they do. I have roughly 1mm of clearance (same as you with a stretched 215). The difference is the tire shoulder/contact patch width, and that is something that cannot be fixed by stretching a narrower tire to fit the rim.

All I am saying is that if you are going to bother to put on an 8" wide rim, you might as well utilize the tire size that best fits it and the car to which you are mounting the wheel. Granted, those options are seriously limited with this wheel, but they do exist.
I see what your saying. Im worried that a 225/50 with a spax drop will rub. I run BFG KDW's on my z and like the performance of the tire. This 5-series will be my family car so im not really interested in performance as much as treadlife and price. I just love the look of the car with a spax drop. I didnt want to spend over $400 for 4 tires that was the plan

Does your e28 have stock suspension?
derrith

Post by derrith »

Melspace02 wrote:
Son of a wrote:

I see what your saying. Im worried that a 225/50 with a spax drop will rub. I run BFG KDW's on my z and like the performance of the tire. This 5-series will be my family car so im not really interested in performance as much as treadlife and price. I just love the look of the car with a spax drop. I didnt want to spend over $400 for 4 tires that was the plan

Does your e28 have stock suspension?
The relationship of the wheel/tire to the strut does not change when you swap springs.
Son of a

Post by Son of a »

What Derrith said is the truth. Dropping the car does not affect the strut-to-tire geometry. My suspension would best be described as "stock, but tired." Again, if you run the proper size tire of the brand, it will fit on the e38 Style 5 without spacers or drama.
jjcarr

Post by jjcarr »

You will also want to make sure they use stick on wheel weigths when balancing. I have 225 snow tires on mine, and the wheel weights hit the strut, so I have 3mm spacers on the way. I figure that will solve the current issue and give me an option if summer tires are too big.
Frybrid 524td

Post by Frybrid 524td »

jjcarr wrote:I have 225 snow tires
Why are you running such wide snow tires?
jjcarr

Post by jjcarr »

Frybrid 524td wrote:
jjcarr wrote:I have 225 snow tires
Why are you running such wide snow tires?
Because I had them already sitting in the garage.
535is-pa

Post by 535is-pa »

here is my rear with 215's its close, any more sidewall an itll rub if you dont trim/roll your wheel arches. not to say that some 225's arnt the same size as those meaty all seasons pictured. but i kinda like the tires i got all around, ive been using them as snow tires with no issues and used them last summer.
Melspace02

Post by Melspace02 »

Im just going to run a 205/55/16 and call it a day. There cheaper, I dig the stretched look. Ill be able to rotate all 4 when needed and not have to worry about any rubbing issues with the kids and lady in the car :cool:
Slow_Ballin'

Post by Slow_Ballin' »

Whatever you do, DO NOT BUY the Eagle LS. I work in a tire shop and it is one of the worst tires that is available. Weve seen people get 17,000 out of a set. I dont car what the treadwear rating is, Ive been doing this for years and for the money, you can get a WAY BETTER tire...

For example...
Spend the extra $10 per tire, definitely worth it.

The Dunlop Direzza DZ101 is a good tire for the price as well. Again, just to clarify, the Eagle LS/LS2 and the Eagle RS-A are piss poor tires, please dont wast your time and money.
2ndeagle

Post by 2ndeagle »

FWIW, The Falken Ziex ZE 512 is a perfect match. The side wall is narrow enough to accomodate the wider 225 tire. The price is low and the wear is outstanding. I believe they are 40-50k mile all seasons.
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

225/50/16 will fit without rubbing.. I have that on my car...

Goodyear Eagle RS-A's worked good for me, same with Continental Contitouring
mpowertech

tires

Post by mpowertech »

I was in the market for tires last week , after tireless searches( Ha!), and not wanting to waste my nut, I reached out to an experienced member here, that recommended the Continental Extreme contact DWS(All season), In your case prob. the Extreme Contact DW. I was surprised when sears price matched and 10% off Tire rack! I purchased 225/50/16's and have style 5's(not the cool kind :cry:)
C.R. Krieger

Post by C.R. Krieger »

tschultz wrote:225/50/16 will fit without rubbing.. I have that on my car...

Goodyear Eagle RS-A's worked good for me, same with Continental Contitouring
Those Goodyears suck ass in the rain. DAMHIK unless you want to hear the story of a spinning Audi at Road America again ...
mithrites

Post by mithrites »

I need to buy tires and ran across this thread :alright: ,now my question is,are you guys using hubcentric rings and where did you buy them?,I need to get some tires this week or next week...thanks in advance
Coldswede
Location: Back U.P. North,. Where the water's blue, the wind is free and seasons four.

Post by Coldswede »

Tire Rack will sell you good hub centric rings.
mithrites

Post by mithrites »

Coldswede wrote:Tire Rack will sell you good hub centric rings.
Many thnx!
mithrites

Post by mithrites »

I've been on radio silence the past couple weeks,I spoke to the fine folks at tire rack and they said I don't need hubcentric rings for my Style 5's...can anyone confirm this? I'm very close to needing tires
mooseheadm5
Beamter
Beamter

Post by mooseheadm5 »

mithrites wrote:I've been on radio silence the past couple weeks,I spoke to the fine folks at tire rack and they said I don't need hubcentric rings for my Style 5's...can anyone confirm this? I'm very close to needing tires
You need them for E39 style 5s, but not the E38 16" style 5s.