Subframe and Steering Reinforcement

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
icetempest

Re: Subframe and Steering Reinforcement

Post by icetempest »

MWrench wrote:
icetempest wrote:Sorry to bring this up, but I haven't been able to contact Ed, he's not answering emails, anyone knows his whereabouts?
I have checked my email and don't see your contact attempt. Please resend.

regards
Pmed and also mail resent. :)
Evan

Post by Evan »

Over the past couple days, I have called Ed at the number listed on the MWrench website, emailed him 2x at the email listed on the site, along with the comcast email listed by CEK a few posts back and have not gotten a reply. Sadly my car sits at work waiting for the ultimate repair....I'll pay up to $100 shipped for anybody that has a spare. I just want to drive my new car already!

Limbo00RT

Post by Limbo00RT »

Ordered my mwrench bracket and received it the next day. Installation was quick and easy! Finding a shop willing to weld the bracket proved much tougher. Ed is a great person to deal with and still has the mwrench brackets in stock. He did mention that he doesn't know how much longer he will be doing this. Those of you on the fence about doing the repair shouldn't wait!
danc

Post by danc »

Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

Just wanted to throw my two cents in here...

We determined this past Saturday that my sons car's steering box bracket had broken, so I sent an email to Ed Sunday morning explaining that, if he was still making these, we really needed one before the end of the week if possible so we could fix Sonny's car before he goes back to school this weekend.

Long story short, Ed CALLED me Sunday afternoon, said he was away, but he'd make sure it shipped to me in time to make the repair, since we needed it to make the steering whole again.

Here it is Wednesday, three days later, and the part has been received and installed. Clear across the continent, and I didn't even pay for overnight service. My son said he installed it in less than 20 minutes.

In my book, not only does Ed respond, but he responds quickly (this is my third one, never had a problem communicating). The fact that he called me on Sunday is a testament to what a good guy he is. The only thing better than the M-Wrench E24/E28 steering fix is Mr. M-Wrench himself, Ed Raether.

Thank you, Ed.
waynet1

Post by waynet1 »

^^^
Couldn't agree more. I have much the same story/experience from about 6 years ago. :D :up:
Tulsa6

Post by Tulsa6 »

Just a note on this: If you go to the trouble to drop the subframe and steering gear to have the dowel welded, do yourself a favor and replace the steering column u-joint with a genuine BMW u-joint 32 31 1 151 454. My steering gear subframe mount had failed on the car prior to me purchasing it - probably years prior - and there's a lot more labor involved to not replace it while everything is apart as I found out. Even with the relative low miles on this car, after cleaning up the old u-joint, is was obvious it was contributing to the play at the steering wheel.

Also, to anyone thinking about buying the dowel, at least set one these back for future use if you plan on keeping your car for awhile. When you need one and can't find one because they're NLA, they will be worth a lot more than the current asking price. This really goes for all the NLA parts that are being made or put into production by individuals that aren't really making a whole lot for their time.
duggi

Post by duggi »

Tulsa6 wrote:Also, to anyone thinking about buying the dowel, at least set one these back for future use if you plan on keeping your car for awhile. When you need one and can't find one because they're NLA, they will be worth a lot more than the current asking price. This really goes for all the NLA parts that are being made or put into production by individuals that aren't really making a whole lot for their time.
I can't agree more. This fix is the easiest and most solid solution for this common e28 problem and if your car hasn't already been reinforced or repaired, I whole-heartedly recommend purchasing this part to have on hand. It's not a matter of if, but when.
MShimon

Post by MShimon »

Hello fellow E28 enthusiasts,

I noticed that the great write-up is now not so great. This can be entirely attributed to Photobucket's new hosting requirements. Has anyone out there been able to save the great write-up with the accompanying photos and post that up for posterity? Thank you.
George

Post by George »

I'll see about moving the pictures to a different site.
George

Post by George »

I switched the image hosting on the original post to Imgur. Hopefully that fixes the issue.
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Shawn D. »

George wrote:I switched the image hosting on the original post to Imgur. Hopefully that fixes the issue.
Thanks for taking care of that -- it did fix it.

Now if I could only find the reinforcement kit I bought so many years ago. The subframe is out for an engine swap, but I can't find the Mwrench kit in all my stuff! :(
cek

Post by cek »

George wrote:I switched the image hosting on the original post to Imgur. Hopefully that fixes the issue.
Thank you George.

These kits are a great resource to the community.
N44RP

Post by N44RP »

Just sent a pm for Mwrench dowel/hardware. Hoping this service is still available though it’s been years.
Bonsaibacker

Post by Bonsaibacker »

N44RP wrote:Just sent a pm for Mwrench dowel/hardware. Hoping this service is still available though it’s been years.
Have purchased one from him within the past month. Shoot him an email and be patient- he is a busy man!

ed@mwrench.com
danix

Post by danix »

Emailed Ed and got a reply back the same day.
boomvader

Post by boomvader »

I've completed no less than 50 tasks on my newly acquired 1988 535is. The $55 spent for this product is at the top of my list in value and satisfaction. Quick to reply and quick to ship. What a difference it made! HIGHLY Recommend Ed and this solution for our beloved e28's.
Miller

Post by Miller »

Fingers crossed I get hold of a kit, mine has broken completley, Ive dropped Ed an email.

Great write up OP, thanks for taking the time to do so.
Manny D.

Post by Manny D. »

For those wondering, you do not Need to weld the top of the dowel. You can install it with the subframe in the car. Just smack it through the bottom and weld the bottom side only. Welding the top is just overkill, but if you have the subframe out already then go for it.
db9

Post by db9 »

Wondering if the Mwrench kit is still available? I have e-mailed but no response.
Thank you
dsw99a

Post by dsw99a »

Keep us posted if he gets in touch with you. Im in need of this kit also.
db9

Post by db9 »

Heard back from Ed this week and will be ordering shortly..

Merry Christmas
sixseries

Post by sixseries »

Would this be applicable to an e12 based car as well?
1986series6

Post by 1986series6 »

Doesn't look like it. The bracket is not shown on an E12.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=31_0002

Here, on an E28--you'll see the bracket on the top right side of the support.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=31_0013
sixseries

Post by sixseries »

Anyone heard back from Ed recently? I emailed him and no response. Looking to get this for reinforcement purposes.
funkycharms

Post by funkycharms »

Yep, Mine landed in my mailbox last week