Subframe and Steering Reinforcement

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Frybrid 524td

Post by Frybrid 524td »

C.R. Krieger wrote:Bump for inclusion in the Tech FAQ.
LA

Post by LA »

euro635gas wrote:You can also just break the bracket off. Grind the old welds away. Weld a beefy washer over the hole and use the aluminum spacer that is stock on any E32 or E34. Fixed for good. Did this to my 533i over 5 years ago and has never had a problem since.

Nice write up.

The nice thing about BMW is that they fix problems. They fixed it on the E32 and E34s.
I can't seem to find the al spacer you refer to when I look at E32 and E34 info on realoem.com - could you help with a link maybe?

Thanks,
LA
draztik

Post by draztik »

Where would I purchase the Mwrench steel dowel?
mechacode

Post by mechacode »

Email Ed over at MWrench.
draztik

Post by draztik »

Hey I e-mailed Ed from mwrench and he responded quickly. He also had the kit in stock and ready to ship out for $55 shipped. Got the kit in a day or two and I'm happy with the quality.

MWrench

Out of the country

Post by MWrench »

Hi Guys: I will be out of the country for 2 weeks starting Oct 31 afternoon. I will not be able to respond until I return. I have finished a new run of kits and are in stock ready when I return. I can fill requests today and tomorrow.

Sorry for any inconvienience this may cause
BuzzBomb

Post by BuzzBomb »

Hey guys, I already have a reinforced subframe (it came that way), but my issue is the whole steering box is shifting, and it's the other mount. I haven't gotten under the car to look at it, but could the other horizontal mount be broken? Or the mounting point on the box itself? It's been this way for a while, since I noticed old bits of wood jammed between the box and frame rail. A previous skilled craftsman repair, apparently. I've never heard of such a thing happening. I'm lucky! :roll:
mooseheadm5
Beamter
Beamter

Post by mooseheadm5 »

It is possible for the outboard mount to fail. This happens after the inboard mount fails because the box will pivot up and down which will essentially saw a slot into the holes for the outboard mount. What you can do is position the box properly and install the bolt with some fender washers on either side. Crank the bolt down and then tack weld the washers in place.
hobibill

got my dowel kit from Ed

Post by hobibill »

It took an hour to install only because there was a factory weld bead blocking the top hole. I was able to get my Dremel on it and the dowel was in within minutes. Big difference! The factory mount was broken off clean.
BTW, Ed is a nice guy and really good to deal with. Every e28 should have this mod.
jjcarr

Post by jjcarr »

Same here, someone had done a crappy job of re-welding the factory mount on mine. A little dremmel work and this sucker mounted right up. Big thumbs up for a quality product.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Yes this needs to move to the FAQ section. Not really needed on a daily basis to announce this to the masses.
Pistonbroke

Post by Pistonbroke »

Thanks heaps for putting this vital info together.
Trust the kit is still available?

Might now change my tag to 'Turning broke'
und28mpg/hwy

Post by und28mpg/hwy »

S W E E T !
trevmmeister

Re:

Post by trevmmeister »

ASLAN wrote:Steering is essential...
Right?
BonitaBeast

Re: Subframe and Steering Reinforcement

Post by BonitaBeast »

Sorry for the thread resurrection, but would anyone know if this kit is still available?

Thanks in advance.
cek

Post by cek »

Yes, I bought one a few months ago. Just emailed ed at eraether AT comcast.net and he promptly responded.
BonitaBeast

Post by BonitaBeast »

Thanks! Will email him now
BonitaBeast

Re: got my dowel kit from Ed

Post by BonitaBeast »

hobibill wrote:It took an hour to install only because there was a factory weld bead blocking the top hole. I was able to get my Dremel on it and the dowel was in within minutes. Big difference! The factory mount was broken off clean.
BTW, Ed is a nice guy and really good to deal with. Every e28 should have this mod.
+1 on this same experience.

Mine is now installed, welded, and painted. Thanks Ed!
kaiream

Post by kaiream »

:( i will order one too!!!! my steering feels similar to a tractor.
trevmmeister

Post by trevmmeister »

Ordered mine today. Ed was a really nice guy, and easy to communicate with, to say the least. Responded very quickly to emails and had it ready to ship as soon as payment cleared.

As of now, I am driving for the next few days (and who knows how long so far?) with one side of my bracket broken, while the other seems to be holding in there.

One question I had was, when installing Ed's dowel, can I leave the bracket on there and just work through it? Or does it need to be removed completely?

If it is able to be left alone, does the big washer go on the bottom of the bracket, or the top, against the steering box itself?

EDIT; Also, once the kit is mounted, is welding it to the subframe necessary? Otherwise, would it be okay just to torque(what would the torque be?) the bolt down and leave it?
BonitaBeast

Post by BonitaBeast »

From what I recall, the big washer goes on the bottom but I know I did not need to install it as per the instructions included since my steering bracket is not broken. And welding to the subframe is not necessary once installed, although it is encouraged. The instructions included are pretty thorough so you shouldn't have a problem.
trevmmeister wrote:Ordered mine today. Ed was a really nice guy, and easy to communicate with, to say the least. Responded very quickly to emails and had it ready to ship as soon as payment cleared.

As of now, I am driving for the next few days (and who knows how long so far?) with one side of my bracket broken, while the other seems to be holding in there.

One question I had was, when installing Ed's dowel, can I leave the bracket on there and just work through it? Or does it need to be removed completely?

If it is able to be left alone, does the big washer go on the bottom of the bracket, or the top, against the steering box itself?

EDIT; Also, once the kit is mounted, is welding it to the subframe necessary? Otherwise, would it be okay just to torque(what would the torque be?) the bolt down and leave it?
trevmmeister

Post by trevmmeister »

Cool, thanks for the reply. I wasnt aware that he included instructions(I have, however, read all of the tutorials, including the one on Ed's site), so thats a relief.

Edit;

Got to installing the dowel today and found that my box mount wasn't just "barely holding on by one weld point", no... it was completely snapped off. And here I was wondering why my steering was THAT loose...

Pulled the old bolt out, time consuming as hell given the very little amount of movement room, pushed the piece in, lined up the washers and bolts, and tightened that bolt down until I could physically do no more. No welding at all. The entire driving feel of the car has transformed, its so tight and responsive, just like she used to be.

Thanks again, Ed. Great product.
icetempest

Post by icetempest »

Sorry to bring this up, but I haven't been able to contact Ed, he's not answering emails, anyone knows his whereabouts?
Lucas_Roehr

Post by Lucas_Roehr »

icetempest wrote:Sorry to bring this up, but I haven't been able to contact Ed, he's not answering emails, anyone knows his whereabouts?
After all of these years of numerous e28 ownership, one of mine finally needs one of these. I emailed him today, hopefully he gets both of our messages soon.
MWrench

Post by MWrench »

icetempest wrote:Sorry to bring this up, but I haven't been able to contact Ed, he's not answering emails, anyone knows his whereabouts?
I have checked my email and don't see your contact attempt. Please resend.

regards