Subframe and Steering Reinforcement

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
lswoboda

Re: Subframe and Steering Reinforcement

Post by lswoboda »

How do you order the kit/dowel?

I looked on his webpage and didn’t see any way to order the kit. Do you have to call email Ed? I’ve emailed, but not yet heard back.

UPDATE: I did receive a very nice response from Ed Raether. He was traveling and didn’t have access to email. I ordered the kit via PayPal, and it will be shipped right away. I’m looking forward to getting this kit installed.

Thanks.

LS
GarlicPorcupine

Post by GarlicPorcupine »

I have called and emailed Ed Raether and not received a reply. I fear he is not around or making this part anymore.
Anyone take over or make this part now?
Thanks
ThisOldJeep

Post by ThisOldJeep »

I got one from Ed a couple months ago, so could
Just be that he’s traveling.
jakecrayne

Post by jakecrayne »

Anyone heard from Ed/know if these are still available or at least the plans/dimensions?
scott s

Post by scott s »

Hey MyE28! Sorry for delay; I have some great news!

The great Ed Raether recently handed off production of the famous MWrench steering box reinforcement to myself and my business partners (@Derrith on MyE28 & another not on the forum). Since 2021 we have been running a classic car shop in the SF Bay Area where we are specializing in restoration and motorsport work, primarily for 80s BMWs, but we have our hands on things from the 1920s through the early 2000s. Logan(@Derrith) have been buying and using Ed's part for nearly 15 years and have installed a few dozen ourselves for both our own cars as well as client cars. I began to visit Ed each time I needed the part, after learning he was just 20 minutes from me. After years of communication back and forth about continuing production, we recently had our first batch made by the same machine shop Ed has been working with since the early 2000s. We have steering box reinforcements in stock and ready to ship from our shop, and are also hoping to get stock to Angry Ass Solutions ASAP for distribution! The only thing we've changed in the assembly of the kit is the choice to use yellow zinc hardware rather than Ed's preferred black coating, because we love a bit of YZ!

If you have any questions feel free to email, call, or contact us on Instagram.
Shop: The Studio (SF Bay Area)
Phone: 408.596.9189
Email: info@thestudiopresents.com
Instagram: @TheStudioPresents

Thanks,
Scott, Logan, & Phil
The Studio
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

Thanks for keeping production alive on the steering reinforcement. I bought one from Ed some years ago and it's been working fine ever since.
Nebraska_e28
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Nebraska_e28 »

Great news!
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Shawn D. »

This is indeed great news!
thrty8street

Post by thrty8street »

What kind of welder/kit can you recommend for someone who has never welded before and needs one to tackle this project?
Panici

Post by Panici »

Just in case anyone needs it, here is a link to this thread on the waybackmachine.

Has the original pictures from the post made in 2009!

https://web.archive.org/web/20141015032 ... =3&t=63659
thrty8street

Post by thrty8street »

George wrote: May 26, 2009 4:40 AM
Now, I have a couple of spare gear boxes lying around so I used one of them to mock up how it was supposed to fit. Go to the hardware store (Ace is the place) and get a 6” long 15/32” bolt and nut (7/16” will work as well). Most places wont carry the correct metric size bolt of that length.

I went to Ace and two Home Depots - none of them had either the 15/32" or 7/16" bolt.

Where is everyone buying these bolts? Is there a substitute size that would work? Metric should be M12, correct?

Also, will a grade 5 bolt suffice?

Edit: never mind, I ended up using the factory bolt to mock up the steering box fitment.

New question: what size (thickness) washer do I need - the one that goes between the dowel and the steering box arm? The steering box bracket was already broken off when I bought the car so I have nothing to compare it to.

Thank you!