M30B35 Swap FAQ

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
6finger

Re: M30B35 Swap FAQ

Post by 6finger »

SlickDizzy wrote:Your Motronic 1.0 flywheel sensors are not used on Motronic 1.3. They will not plug in anywhere. Remove them. That is one of the best parts about M1.3, ditching those failure-prone things.

2-wire connector in general vicinity of alternator is for the oil level sensor, IIRC. The B35 one is different and you will want to use it.

Round 4-wire twist-lock connector is for oxygen sensor. You will need a B35 oxygen sensor. It is different. What you say is your oil level sensor wiring is NOT your oil level sensor wiring, that looks like the sub-harness connector that meets the main harness. Other connector in pic is possibly for emissions purge valve which is in same area. Where should the purge hose be routeB

Eyelet connectors are not all grounds. You will have 2 grounds and the other 2 wires are for ignition coil.
Which 2 are the ignition coil wires?
6finger

Post by 6finger »

Imagee24 c101 2 by Tom Wolfinger, on Flickr

Imagee24 c101 1 by Tom Wolfinger, on Flickr

Tell me how horribly screwed I am...

SlickDizzy wrote:Your Motronic 1.0 flywheel sensors are not used on Motronic 1.3. They will not plug in anywhere. Remove them. That is one of the best parts about M1.3, ditching those failure-prone things.

2-wire connector in general vicinity of alternator is for the oil level sensor, IIRC. The B35 one is different and you will want to use it.

Round 4-wire twist-lock connector is for oxygen sensor. You will need a B35 oxygen sensor. It is different. What you say is your oil level sensor wiring is NOT your oil level sensor wiring, that looks like the sub-harness connector that meets the main harness. Other connector in pic is possibly for emissions purge valve which is in same area.

Eyelet connectors are not all grounds. You will have 2 grounds and the other 2 wires are for ignition coil.
Last edited by 6finger on Sep 23, 2019 4:03 PM, edited 2 times in total.
SlickDizzy

Post by SlickDizzy »

The ground eyelets are connected to brown wires. Brown = ground in E28 land. The ones that aren't brown are your coil wires.

That doesn't look like C101 to me.
6finger

Post by 6finger »

Howdy folks! thanks so much for all of the help I've gotten form all of you with this swap.. I will post a wire pin out for my 12 pin square early model c101 as soon as I have a couple things sorted.
my pin numbers don't correlate to anyone's diagrams so I've been just using common color code and gauge to help myself along. Which has brought me to the point where I have everything but fuel pump power. The diagram below mentions splice at s127 and s128 on m1.3 pin 7 and 13 m1 e28 pin 12&16 and 7&17 I'm not sure what that means?? I do know that my green violet wire coming form the fuse box is show no power in either key position. The large gauge green (coil wire) is hot key on.. I'm tempted to just splice but?? Thanks!

ImageBrad Denton diagram by Tom Wolfinger, on Flickr
gegge

Post by gegge »

ducklordthefirst wrote:Hi folks from across the pond
I’m looking for a bit of help with this swap
I have a M30B34 and have swapped to motronic 1.3,but have used a manual loom and have a switchable slush box!
To solve this I’ve now got a high line loom from an auto,I also have the 6 pin TPS to put on
My question is how to mate my original E28 box loom to my motronic 1.3 loom?
There are 12 pins on the engine loom and only 10 on my box loom
The car is running at the mo with the manual loom,albeit stuck in limp mode as the engine and box aren’t communicating
I also have no rev counter or temp gauge although this seems to have been covered in the post somewhere
Any help with this is much appreciated

Cheers,Jason

/\_/\
Hi, I´m a total noobie and need some help. I have a E23 745 with the M106 engine that doesn't start. I believe the stock system is an enhanced Motronic 1.0 with DME and KLR like Porsche 944 turbo. Since I have some goodies like M88 inlet manifold and a rather hot cam there should be some benefits swapping to Motronic 1.3 loom with a programmable livechip. I can live with boost retard and knock box delete, maybe build a standalone system for that. Innovate Wideband is available. I would like to keep the automatic and need assistance with connecting the engine loom and auto loom, just like Jason.

Cheers, Carl
iamcreepingdeath

Re: Re:

Post by iamcreepingdeath »

cek wrote: Jun 21, 2014 5:12 PM

The E28 cluster has a BR/VI wire leading to it that feeds the temperature gauge. If you are using a B34 Sender, then the BR/VI wire from the harness (was going to pin 4 on the 20X connector) will go to the BR/WH wire at pin 4 of the C101.

This is super straight forward, so I'm not sure why others had temp gauges that didn't work. Maybe it's because they were using B35 Senders?
So... All I have to do is replace the B35 sender with a B34 sender, and the dash temp gauge will work?

I am swapping a complete E32 B35 into an E28. I wired the C101s together per the pinout table in this thread, with pin 4 to pin 4 (as above quoted).
Bimmerguy2002

Post by Bimmerguy2002 »

The super eta sensor for the cluster, orange top usually with one pin is a correct one, and the (one of, the correct one) blue for the ECU for the temp is the correct one.
cek

Post by cek »

The spreadsheet I had used to track all parts for the M30B35 build/swap I did in Vlad.

https://1drv.ms/x/s!AsIgsqrZdRUOnCzzzFj ... P?e=Ipxh1u
harrypalmer

Post by harrypalmer »

Can any of you please share why on your most complete and helpful list, did not replace the E28 radiator for the E34?
Maybe I missed reading your intel on this. Anyhow, is it due to lack of physical space that kept you from properly install it? One would think the E34 radiator may have a larger capacity but of course don't know the answer to both questions, so would appreciate if you can share your thoughts. Thanks.
cek

Post by cek »

harrypalmer wrote: Jul 28, 2020 3:55 PM Can any of you please share why on your most complete and helpful list, did not replace the E28 radiator for the E34?
Maybe I missed reading your intel on this. Anyhow, is it due to lack of physical space that kept you from properly install it? One would think the E34 radiator may have a larger capacity but of course don't know the answer to both questions, so would appreciate if you can share your thoughts. Thanks.
I simply didn't consider a new rad. Vlad's been driven hard in the heat and I have had zero cooling issues.
harrypalmer

Post by harrypalmer »

cek wrote: Jul 28, 2020 3:59 PM
harrypalmer wrote: Jul 28, 2020 3:55 PM Can any of you please share why on your most complete and helpful list, did not replace the E28 radiator for the E34?
I simply didn't consider a new rad. Vlad's been driven hard in the heat and I have had zero cooling issues.
Thank you cek. Is Vlad's rad a OE BMW or Nissens unit? Been having some issues with my own South African and considering replacing it for now and for the upcoming swap.
cek

Post by cek »

harrypalmer wrote: Jul 28, 2020 4:26 PM
cek wrote: Jul 28, 2020 3:59 PM
Thank you cek. Is Vlad's rad a OE BMW or Nissens unit? Been having some issues with my own South African and considering replacing it for now and for the upcoming swap.
Dunno. I've never really paid attention to radiators. This is the best pic I could find of the one in Vlad. LOL.

jayjaya29

Post by jayjaya29 »

harrypalmer wrote: Jul 28, 2020 4:26 PM Thank you cek. Is Vlad's rad a OE BMW or Nissens unit? Been having some issues with my own South African and considering replacing it for now and for the upcoming swap.
This thread will be helpful to you:
viewtopic.php?p=1488053
maybeillbuyit

Post by maybeillbuyit »

cek wrote: Jul 21, 2020 1:11 PM The spreadsheet I had used to track all parts for the M30B35 build/swap I did in Vlad.

https://1drv.ms/x/s!AsIgsqrZdRUOnCzzzFj ... P?e=Ipxh1u
This is great cek, thx for posting. Im in the planning stage for this ( maybe forever LOL)
Riskybiz86

Post by Riskybiz86 »

Hi All,

I'm swapping my e28 535is (auto) to a to a m30b35 using a motronic 1.1 and harness that came with it from an '88 e24 L6 (auto). While I got the necessary fuse box connector conversion (thanks condor speed shop), I'm still a little fuzzy on how to make the right connections in the glove box (and it looks like someone responded to this in this thread but the pictures no longer load...).

Here's a picture of what I'm trying to figure out. Mainly how to wire the e24's connectors into the existing connector in the e28 glove box:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eePxcN ... sp=sharing
willyv124

Post by willyv124 »

Starting to go through my 1.3 auto harness from a e34. While rewrapping the harness I found a resistor that looks to be 100 ohms on the coolant temp gauge sender, not the cts for the ecu. Didn't find anything on google or mye28 about this. I know some 533's might have had a resistor on the cts for the ecu, but seems weird to find this on a 1.3 harness on the sender side. Anyone else come across this?

Joey28

Crank Position Sensor Mounting

Post by Joey28 »

I know this is a M30B35 swap thread, but since so much of it concerns swapping over to Motronic 1.3 also, a word to M30B32 owners: I have an '83 M30B32, with the old style oscillating plate AC compressor and big mounting bracket, which gets in the way of the Motronic 1.3 crank sensor bracket. I tried using the old original 1.0 TDC reference sensor bracket, but realized it's at the wrong clock position. So I ended up having to carefully grind a small clearance notch in the AC bracket. I also had to massage the upper adjusting arm to clear the top of the 1.3 sensor and bracket. The AC brackets are beefy so hopefully I haven't compromised their strength much. Tried to keep the grind smooth to avoid stress risers in the metal.
bert poliakoff

Post by bert poliakoff »

If you get sorted and the ecu is a 002 I could be interested in as I have Motronic 1.0 and a spare could be a good thing to have on the shelf
trancher

Post by trancher »

as I understand it, no one has converted e28EH to motronik 1.3 successfully?

by vintagemotorsportsofMD » Jun 08, 2011 9:53 PM

I just did this conversion, if anyone needs help PM me with specifics and I will be glad to help. It took hours and hours poking through all the diagrams and ETK to get my setup to work perfectly. You do need to use the round plug TPS in the conversion, you also need a viable e28 auto engine harness to cut open and take the entire shielded TPS switch wire out of and spice into the round 1.3 auto TPS connector. You also need to supply the TCU with 5v. The vain air meter ref voltage output is perfect to snag the 5v needed there, as the 1.3 motronic does not have a 5v output for the TCU or "AEGS" I believe they started calling it. As I said, if anyone has any specific questions feel free to PM me. I don't have a time to make a nice neat post at this point, but I will add a photobucket page of pics when I can remember to bring my camera home...

this man apparently could, but where is he now and how to contact him?
aargilb

Post by aargilb »

I have done the 1.3 swap with EH automatic. I have an 86. Let me know what questions you have.
trancher

Post by trancher »

what transmission control unit (TCU) did you use? TCU and DME number please. How do you feel about this swap?
aargilb

Post by aargilb »

I used the transmission control unit that came with my 1986 535i. The ecu was a Bosch 0261200179 for motronic 1.3.

I did this swap to correct the idle and get better gas mileage. It worked. Car runs better, smoother, idles better. Best improvement I made to the car. I am still running my M30B34. I plan to upgrade to a M30B35 eventually.
trancher

Post by trancher »

Can show me automatic transmission control unit you used? you can also write his number
aargilb

Post by aargilb »

I have a 1986 535i with a 10/1985 build date. You should be able to get the TCU number off realoem.com
Billwiththeb

Post by Billwiththeb »

New to the group. Hello..so I've got a 733i 84 3.2/3.5 In her..my cam n lifters are toast..oil rail bolt issue..so I got a 3.5 cheep and want to know can the 3.5 cam drop in the 3.2 and lifters????why do this..heads are off and it's what I've got..yes I'm aware the 3.5 cam has more lift..will I have piston/valve clearance is my main question??thanks for any help..