FAQ?: How to properly raise and support your E28

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
1st 5er

Re: FAQ?: How to properly raise and support your E28

Post by 1st 5er »

:wave:

OEM parts, per engine bay sticker.
mfivewrench

Post by mfivewrench »

@e24mpwr Thanks for sharing the pic with the Quickjack. Can you share more details on the lift points? Which blocks are you using and where?

I finished setting up my Quickjack, was about to do my first lift on my E28, but noticing that the factory Quickjack pinch weld blocks are too narrow. Pre Quickjack, I’ve been using chopped up hockey pucks for the lift points. Never have lifted the entire car on all four factory pinch weld marks - that makes me a bit nervous.

Curious on what’s work for you?
BRRV
Location: Colorado High Plains / formerly The Lone Star State

Post by BRRV »

I cut four hockey pucks (half length wise, half cross-section) to fit the pinch rail welded supports and then use jack stands (good ones, with flat tops). I've been doing this for years. No issues. Obviously you need to make sure you have no corrosion on these welded-in structures! I really don't see any reason why this wouldn't work with the QJ.. and it's likely what I'd do (I haven;t gotten one yet.. life got in the way).
e24mpwr

Post by e24mpwr »

mfivewrench wrote: Jul 17, 2022 1:15 PM @e24mpwr Thanks for sharing the pic with the Quickjack. Can you share more details on the lift points? Which blocks are you using and where?

I finished setting up my Quickjack, was about to do my first lift on my E28, but noticing that the factory Quickjack pinch weld blocks are too narrow. Pre Quickjack, I’ve been using chopped up hockey pucks for the lift points. Never have lifted the entire car on all four factory pinch weld marks - that makes me a bit nervous.

Curious on what’s work for you?
I stack the small and large blocks and place them at the factory jack points. They're soft enough that they deform a bit. I toy with the idea of getting QJ's pinch weld blocks or pucks, but put off by the price. Will likely get a set of the Schwaben pucks or maybe the PowerFlex.