Sunroof removal

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
tdbrewst

Sunroof removal

Post by tdbrewst »

I know the process....

Open the roof about 8", use a screwdriver, pop loose the liner along the leading edge and then slide it back into stored postion. Then close the roof and remove the 6 hex head bolts that keep it on the carrier.

... problem is, I can't get the liner to slide back into the stored position. Any recommendations? Decided to install a monroof because the sunroof refuses to close without some assistance.

Thanks,
Last edited by tdbrewst on Jun 11, 2008 10:57 AM, edited 1 time in total.
jimoreno

Post by jimoreno »

I just had the same problem last weekend when doing my moonroof install. I eventually kept pulling/pushing until it let go. I don't remember if I used the sunroof to push it back part of the way.
Good Luck!
JBort

Post by JBort »

Push harder (seriously).

I've installed over a dozen moonroofs; some of the liners required "brute force".

tdbrewst

Post by tdbrewst »

Didn't have any issues when I did this on my '86 but this car has proved challenging in many ways. I was just afraid of damaging the mechanism but doesn't sound likely.

Thanks,
jhh925

Re: Sunroof removal

Post by jhh925 »

Reviving this old thread with my exerience getting the liner unstuck:

- As normal, open sunroof about 2/3rd of the way, unclip the six metal clips that hold the liner to the sunroof itself; use plastic tim tools, don't uyse a screw-driver.
- Slide the liner all the way back into the roof**, then "open" the sunroof to the full tiled-open position and proceed as described in all the normal sets of instructions.

** Assuming your liner DOESN'T want to slide back, try this:
  1. Make sure all the clips are totally out of their holes in the sunroof
  2. Push the liner back as best you can ... even a few millimeters is good
  3. Now, close the sunroof (fully closed, not tilted). If you were able to push the liner back even a couple mm, then the liner will not interfere with the sunroof closing.
  4. Try again gently with your hands to move the liner back a bit. Again, don't expect it to slide, but even a little movement will help. (The goal here is to get the liner back enough so that the rear rails on the liner slide off the liner-lift arms on the lifting pins on the sunroof tracks)
  5. Now open the sunroof to the full open tilt position. Ideally, the liner will not have stuck with the sunroof and the sunroof will have tilted up but the liner is still laying flat. You should now be able to easily slide the liner back; use one hand on the interior side of the liner, use your other hand to push the ribs on the back of the liner that are now exposed in the tilted sunroof.
  6. If your liner did NOT release from the sunroof, reach into the tilted sunroof and gently pull a bit on the liner to try to pull the liner off the lifting pins.
    Assuming you're still stuck, repeat the process: Open the sunroof back to the 2/3rd open position, try to push the liner back again, etc.