clock computer display

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
bluemagic528e

clock computer display

Post by bluemagic528e »

my bmw 528e display used to work fine dont know exactly when it died just noticed its blank now any suggestions please help[/img]
BKCowGod3

Post by BKCowGod3 »

is it blank or just very dim? look closely. Very common problem, discussed regularly. The new bulb is eBayable for not much money.
bluemagic528e

clock computer display

Post by bluemagic528e »

no ive looked very close its out any ideals?
RonW

Re: clock computer display

Post by RonW »

bluemagic528e wrote:no ive looked very close its out any ideals?
A world in which competency and performance are rewarded, where people take responsibility for their own actions, and try to leave the world a better place than they found it.

What year is your car? I ask because there were two types of OBC. The newer kind has four buttons across the bottom labeled 1000, 100, 10, 1.
bluemagic528e

computer clock display

Post by bluemagic528e »

my bmw a 528e 1984 thanks for all replies much apprieciated
myfree528e

Post by myfree528e »

thats the older type OBC which has an LED display - IE no bulb to replace - check all fuses in the fusebox, then supposedly there is a fuse inside the OBC unit (Ive never actually looked), which is behind the driver's side kickpanel, its the larger of the two units to your left when you drop the plate - newer OBCs came in 1985 - check the ETM for specifics regarding the OBC circuitry here's a link to one
http://wedophones.com/Manuals/BMW/1984% ... Manual.pdf
that is not my site, and I have no control over it - please whoever owns it dont get POed at me (my disclaimer)
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

then supposedly there is a fuse inside the OBC unit
There is, I replaced one in an E23 I used to have. However, I will complicate matters. Is the car in question one with the red LED type display and a full OBC, or just a digital clock as I've seen in some? If it's a plain clock, and LED style, I have no suggestions. If it's a LCD, then I'd suspect the backlight bulbs. If it is the LED OBC, then the fuse seems like a good possibility.
boardsportsrule

Post by boardsportsrule »

Mike W. wrote:
then supposedly there is a fuse inside the OBC unit
There is, I replaced one in an E23 I used to have. However, I will complicate matters. Is the car in question one with the red LED type display and a full OBC, or just a digital clock as I've seen in some? If it's a plain clock, and LED style, I have no suggestions. If it's a LCD, then I'd suspect the backlight bulbs. If it is the LED OBC, then the fuse seems like a good possibility.

I have a 1984 528e as well, and have a similair issue. Mine is just the digital clock, and i thought it didnt work at all, but when i took a picture of it to show you guys that mine wasnt an OBC, but rather a clock i could actually see what time it was... during the daylight i cannot see anything. i think it has to do with how LCD's work(polarization/relfection). I am going to try to get in there tommorrow (if the rain clears up) and check out the back light, im sure either the light it toast or a wire is loose. If worst comes to worse i will wire up another backlight or something...

Just what i have found out..
Andy
pdx 528e

Post by pdx 528e »

RonW wrote:
bluemagic528e wrote:no ive looked very close its out any ideals?
A world in which competency and performance are rewarded, where people take responsibility for their own actions, and try to leave the world a better place than they found it.

What year is your car? I ask because there were two types of OBC. The newer kind has four buttons across the bottom labeled 1000, 100, 10, 1.
Haha! That's great! (in bold)

To the original poster: That particular clock was an '84 oddity.(I had an 83 w/ a backlit LCD where the field around the number crystals is silver, not black). I never had to fix mine in the '84 but it looked like it is lit from behind like the OBC II. Try pulling the cluster out, and then removing that triangle bezel that is either holding the clock or is the clock. If its a bulb, the holder will be fairly obvious for the purposes of replacement.
Dimm6

Post by Dimm6 »

I have an ‘83 528e. My clock works fine during the day, but I’m not sure if it’s supposed to light up at night. Any suggestions or answers would help.