BUYING E28 IN CANADA AND IMPORTING TO CALIFORNIA

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
calspyderman

BUYING E28 IN CANADA AND IMPORTING TO CALIFORNIA

Post by calspyderman »

Can anyone advise... are Canadian registered e28s "Euro spec, Canada spec, or "North American" spec"? If I bought a car in Canada and wanted to import it to California - is that a "straightforward, lots of hoops to jump through, or "don't even think about it" prospect? I've noticed many cars for sale in Canada look identical to their U.S. counterparts (with the big DOT bumpers and MPH speedometers). I think the "older than 25 years old" rule likely exempts them from import restrictions into the United States - but I'm talking about CALIFORNIA.

I guess I'm asking if anyone knows if e28s sold in Canada are the same engine and emission specs as those sold in California?
Mike W.

Re: BUYING E28 IN CANADA AND IMPORTING TO CALIFORNIA

Post by Mike W. »

I think generally Canadian cars were the same as US spec cars, but that might be 49 state cars, not 50 state cars, which would mean California.

But I would give the Calif BAR a call and just ask them. I pinged them many years ago and they were very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. I wouldn't be surprised if you gave them the VIN they could tell you much more. But they seemed very knowledgeable, as in don't even think about trying to sneak one in under their nose.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

The speedo would be in kilometers
calspyderman

Post by calspyderman »

Yup. Thanks guys... will call the BAR - but if it is otherwise a U.S. (50 state) car it should be accepted in California. :D
CanadianMiniFan

Post by CanadianMiniFan »

Other than the speedo in Km, I have not come across any “euro” or specifically Canadian features in the 3 e28s I’ve owned, all sold new in Canada. I would be shocked if they had different emissions equipment than their US counterparts.