Blinker light switching fast

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
torin.kw

Blinker light switching fast

Post by torin.kw »

the right blinker housing on my 535is was completely destroyed, so i replaced it, however when i turn the blinker on it blinks faster (this was happening before i just assumed it was because the blinker wasn’t connected) is there any sort of way to reset this?
John in VA

Re: Blinker light switching fast

Post by John in VA »

The fast blinking usually indicates there is a bulb out.
e28Sean

Post by e28Sean »

torin.kw wrote: May 19, 2023 6:19 PM ...is there any sort of way to reset this?
There is no "Reset". It will rapid-blink any time you have a bulb out / not working. It's dependent on the current draw from the bulb, so, if you are using a bulb that draws far less current than expected (such as an LED bulb), you are going to get rapid-blink.

Please check and confirm that all bulbs are installed and working properly, and that they are the correct bulbs. If you are using LEDs, you will need to install an LED compatible flasher in place of the factory one.

Is this a US or Euro car? If US (and assuming it's the front blinker causing the issue): ensure that the bulb isn't installed backwards, such as to use the parkie filament for the blinker function.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

OP probably needs new blinker fluid.

https://www.amazon.com/blinker-fluid/s?k=blinker+fluid

Just a joke, don't take it seriously.
topher800

Post by topher800 »

So, I have LEDs all around the back and I do not get rapid blink. I do get the "Check light" status on the dash and overhead panel.
torin.kw

Post by torin.kw »

e28Sean wrote: May 25, 2023 11:19 AM
torin.kw wrote: May 19, 2023 6:19 PM ...is there any sort of way to reset this?
There is no "Reset". It will rapid-blink any time you have a bulb out / not working. It's dependent on the current draw from the bulb, so, if you are using a bulb that draws far less current than expected (such as an LED bulb), you are going to get rapid-blink.

Please check and confirm that all bulbs are installed and working properly, and that they are the correct bulbs. If you are using LEDs, you will need to install an LED compatible flasher in place of the factory one.

Is this a US or Euro car? If US (and assuming it's the front blinker causing the issue): ensure that the bulb isn't installed backwards, such as to use the parkie filament for the blinker function.