Best distributor cap and rotor?

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
mosportgreen66

Best distributor cap and rotor?

Post by mosportgreen66 »

Hi Gang,

What is your suggestion for best replacement distributor cap and rotor for '82 633csi with 5 speed?

Thanks,
Dan
Zeta

Re: Best distributor cap and rotor?

Post by Zeta »

Assuming it’s the same for E24s, the OEM brands were Bosch and Bremi. I went with Bremi when I replaced mine a few years ago and it’s been good.
a2058

Post by a2058 »

I would also recommend the Bremi brand. I had Bosch set before and it would build up carbon on the electrodes to the point that car will just crank and not start. I had to routinely get in there and sand off the carbon deposits. With Bremi, I never had that problem.
mosportgreen66

Post by mosportgreen66 »

Thank you! I just purchased a Bremi cap and rotor for the car
camplo

Post by camplo »

My car just started misfiring and has loss of power. I pulled my cap/rotor off just to check. Do you think this would be the cause?

https://imgur.com/a/GF2XACH
Zeta

Post by Zeta »

That looks pretty bad! It certainly needs to be replaced, but I don’t know if there are other underlying problems that would cause it to get that bad.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Oh man that's nasty. The rotor is rough, but the cap is far worse. Wear and tear, well, ok, not pretty, but comes with time. But all those deposits on the inside of the cap are likely conductive, meaning spark will want to find it's way down there. Yeah, replace them, see what happens and then report back.
tn535i

Post by tn535i »

I'm late to recommend but I would say emphatically Bremi. I've never had a problem and recently put another set on my 535 dd.

On the other hand I've had no less than 2 Bosch rotors fail where the screws either loosened or the heads broke off causing all sorts of problems including once where the rotor got loose enough it destroyed the cap and the backshield on the M6. I think Bosch began sourcing somewhere where the screws were inferior metallurgy. Perhaps they fixed it but I don't trust them anymore.
camplo

Post by camplo »

Mike W. wrote: May 08, 2023 12:30 AM Oh man that's nasty. The rotor is rough, but the cap is far worse. Wear and tear, well, ok, not pretty, but comes with time. But all those deposits on the inside of the cap are likely conductive, meaning spark will want to find it's way down there. Yeah, replace them, see what happens and then report back.
It took a while to wait for parts and then was out of town. Finally had a free moment to install the new cap/rotor. The car ran exactly the same :cry: . I went and pulled the #6 plug since it was the easiest accessible and turned out it was wet. Pulled #5 just to check and that one was fine. I put it back prepared to order new wires/plugs. Turns out after I went to check that same #6 wire, I did not fully seat it to the wire. I realized this when plugging in the other one and heard a click. I'm the dummy.