Keyless Entry Installation Help

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
LebCa

Keyless Entry Installation Help

Post by LebCa »

After removing a monstrosity of aftermarket wires and alarm systems from this 535is, I attempted to follow the "simple" keyless entry threads on mye28, no to success. I think I must be doing something dumb here and am curious if anyone could point me in the right direction.

I'm trying to install Qiilu Keyless Entry System on Amazon. Instructions look like this:

Attempt to install above the glove compartment where the previous stereos were:
The skinny red/black wires on the right are plugged into a lightbulb that is supposed to flash when this unit receives a signal from the clicker.

Orange -> Skinny Red
Orange/Black -> Skinny Black

White -> Yellow

Yellow -> Red
Yellow -> Red
Red -> Red

White/Black -> Green

Brown -> White

Black -> Black (ground, I think)

There's an aftermarket lock/unlock switch installed in the center panel that has three wires:
Black -> Black
Yellow -> ?
Green -> ?

Symptoms I'm experiencing:
- Clicker does not lock nor unlock the car
- When car battery is unplugged and then plugged back in, the unit does lock and unlock the doors one time by itself.
- The overhead lights when in the "door" setting stay on when the doors are closed instead of off.

Any obvious misconfigurations here, and recommendations on how to fix it?

Thanks,
Caleb
boogie

Re: Keyless Entry Installation Help

Post by boogie »

a lot to digest here but if you’re half okay with wiring diagrams, i suggest you head over to wedophones.com and find the automotive section which will then have bunch of bmw ETMs. i’ve installed keyless entry AND remote start on my e34 (compustar unit) and am going to do it next to my e28 so i could help you with this but i would suggest you start there with the diagrams first. if you’re not able read diagrams, i would at least start tracing the wires back to see where they connect to the car and write them down here. i myself or other members would be able to help you sort it from that point
Ju@n

Post by Ju@n »

Here is what you should find in a late is
Hope that helps a bit
BRRV
Location: Colorado High Plains / formerly The Lone Star State

Post by BRRV »

FWIW: I did not do this inside the interior or the dash, I used the trunk lock actuator behind the tail panel. Worked like a charm, ten minute install and I ran the antenna 'wire' up along the side of the car in the trunk.

EDIT: I did not do the window or any other functions, nor did I do any lighting or horn functions, as I thought they were more problematic than necessary.