Headlight switch wiring

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Syndrome

Headlight switch wiring

Post by Syndrome »

Hey all. The connector on my light switch was all crumbled and the wires disconnected. I was wondering if anyone could just tell me the color wires that go to the numbered connectors on the baks of the switch. I have one slightly larger red wire, then various greys with colored tracers, a yellow with a white tracer, and a couple of browns, one with a white tracer.

I’m hoping someone has a list of colors to numbered connectors, or even a picture of how the wires connect to the back of the switch. The car is a 1988 M5, BTW, and I do have a “new” plastic connector, but I have to be sure I connect the right wires to the right connectors, unless anyone has any marshmallows to roast. Thanks.
Blue Shadow

Re: Headlight switch wiring

Post by Blue Shadow »

Just a quick look at the pages from the ETM (middle of the left column www.e38.org/e28 or the wedphones site) shows these connections

1 gray white
2 gray red
3 gray green
4 gray black
5 large red
6 brown
8 yellow white
9 green
Syndrome

Post by Syndrome »

Thanks so much. I’ll wire it up this way tomorrow and see how it goes. I never could have figured this out on my own. I also had never seen the webpage you linked, so double gratitude for you!
Syndrome

Post by Syndrome »

Well, That worked out fine. Now I was wondering if anyone knows how the wiring goes on the foglights and interior (dome lights) switch? Thank you!
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

It is in the ETM for US cars. The € cars have rear fogs and those are not included in the ETM
Syndrome

Post by Syndrome »

Lol…. I’m sorry to admit, I don’t even know what “ETM” is. Can anyone please tell me what color wire goes to which numbered terminal on the back of the switch? Thanks and sorry to not be technically inclined when it comes to wiring!
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Syndrome wrote: May 26, 2023 5:55 PM Lol…. I’m sorry to admit, I don’t even know what “ETM” is. Can anyone please tell me what color wire goes to which numbered terminal on the back of the switch? Thanks and sorry to not be technically inclined when it comes to wiring!
Electrical
Troubleshooting
Manual

That link back in March will get you to a place you can download the whole manual under the "Electronics" section. I don't know what year you have but they have all of them from 1982-1988 listed.
JohnH

Post by JohnH »

The official wiring diagrams for all models world wide can be found in this thread;

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=159445

Quite why this info is not contained in the FAQ is puzzling.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

JohnH wrote: May 28, 2023 2:32 AM
Quite why this info is not contained in the FAQ is puzzling.
A FAQ on my is a difficult thing to produce. Seems the powers require full, complete diagnostic, procurement, reengineering and resolution of the FAQ item without extraneous comments, posts, pictures and such.

There is so much that could be in FAQs that isn't and other threads with links that organizing it all would be a pile of work. I think I probably grabbed the links in the thread, need to check em out, but the www.e38 link I posted has the ETMs for the North American versions of the cars. We usually see wedphones linked and it is in the sig of some members but I don't gave sigs turned on all the time and can remember the e38 website.

Since you recommend that other thread and probably have a €-RHD vehicle, I'm guessing the site has the € ETMs a big plus for many here.
Syndrome

Post by Syndrome »

Blue Shadow, Are you able to do a list of wire color to connection number like you did for the main light switch? I think there are only five wires. I can’t get this right on my own, even with the ETM in hand. Not my forte, I guess. Thanks.
Aldo525

Post by Aldo525 »

This is Euro fog light switch but maybe it is the same

And for the headlight switch:

Syndrome

Post by Syndrome »

Oh boy, that’s helpful. Thank you.