Routing backup light switch wiring through tunnel

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Syndrome

Routing backup light switch wiring through tunnel

Post by Syndrome »

Hey all. I’ve been searching for about an hour and gave up…. Can anyone please tell me how the factory backup light switch wiring was routed from under the center console at the shift lever through the transmission tunnel to the switch? My wiring was missing entirely and I would like to properly install new OEM wiring to the transmission. Pictures and/or a thousand words are always appreciated! Thank you!
vinceg101

Re: Routing backup light switch wiring through tunnel

Post by vinceg101 »

Are you sure it ran up the tunnel?
Reason I ask is when I pulled apart my interior the only wire bundle I found was my antenna wiring. Maybe mine being a 1985 makes a difference, but I would bank on it being in one of wire bundles moving up either side of the car. However if you want to route it this way it's pretty easy, just fish it down the tunnel, around the parking brake and then back into the rear seat well. There is a groove in the top of the tunnel behind the parking brake that fits a wire bundle (see it is some of these photos). From the rear seat well you can enter the trunk on either side of the rear bulkhead (several holes and other wire bundles). Hope these help:
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

From the switch to a clip on the transmission just holding the wiring to the tranny, running to the shift lever opening.

It is put in before the 1½" thick foam and folded over the edge of the cutout, almost to cutting the wiring, but the 2 wires are in a loose fitting plastic covering, thick unshrunk material. Probably not heat shrink because it would shrink that close to the exhaust heat.

Plugs into the wiring harness at the shift lever.

You can see it dangling there in the last two pictures above.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Blue Shadow wrote: Mar 28, 2023 1:14 PM From the switch to a clip on the transmission just holding the wiring to the tranny, running to the shift lever opening.

It is put in before the 1½" thick foam and folded over the edge of the cutout, almost to cutting the wiring, but the 2 wires are in a loose fitting plastic covering, thick unshrunk material. Probably not heat shrink because it would shrink that close to the exhaust heat.

Plugs into the wiring harness at the shift lever.

You can see it dangling there in the last two pictures above.
Ah, yes misunderstood which item he was referring to. You are correct.