Best spares to have ?

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
York

Best spares to have ?

Post by York »

I received some response over at the m5 area but, I thought I would try here for a more broader response.
I'm a bmw vintage owner for 44 years and my vacations are typically road trips ( always turn the vintage into a 10 day road trip).
With the O2 I'm prepared .
I purchased a 88 m5 a few months ago with all mechanical
Rebuild by Ray Korman.
I would like to assemble parts which are known to
surprise, parts that can save the day.
Parts numbers are especially appreciated.
I know some of these parts may not be easily installed on the side of road but, they could save me from being stranded in
a rural town.
Yes I have searched.
Thanks in advance for all thoughtful responses
Ju@n

Re: Best spares to have ?

Post by Ju@n »

I don't know specifically for an M5, but usual suspects, thermostat, belts, voltage regulator, fluids, zip ties, a bit of coat wire and a can of something (for those quick exhaust fixes). Apart from that, tools, jack, a couple jack stands, rope and jump start wires.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

York wrote: Mar 28, 2023 7:31 AM I received some response over at the m5 area but, I thought I would try here for a more broader response.
You can NOT DO THIS HERE without posting what you have already listed. We don't want to duplicate the work.

But if someone has that in a document and just wants to copy and paste so be it. But I'd have to think...and post and come back and add to it. Too much work. Someone has to have a list already.

We will see if we a list from the OP and from someone else with their list.
York

Post by York »

Ju@n wrote: Mar 28, 2023 9:04 AM I don't know specifically for an M5, but usual suspects, thermostat, belts, voltage regulator, fluids, zip ties, a bit of coat wire and a can of something (for those quick exhaust fixes). Apart from that, tools, jack, a couple jack stands, rope and jump start wires.
With all due respects, your list is generic, I'm looking for specific parts: part numbers
Thanks
adam_poll

Post by adam_poll »

I use my car as a track car and do all of my work myself, if I already have it, am equipped to do the work and there is space it comes along. Track time is expensive and the last thing I want is to be sidelined because a part I need is sitting in the garage at home. The car is being driven to events as well so I need to get home!

I won't give you part numbers as you can look up the specifics for your M5 but the following list should give you an idea. I try to hit the things that a local auto parts store would not keep in stock but would shut me down and are easily fixed. Things like coolant hoses, hose clamps etc. you can make do with universal parts to keep you going. Even if some of these are beyond what you would want to do yourself any competent mechanic could swap these out quickly for you.

Fuses
Bulbs
zip ties, electrical tape, gorilla tape, some wire, preferred fluids, multimeter
Bentley manual (doesn't cover M5 but still lots of useful info)
Main Relay (only used for this)
Fuel Pump Relay (this can also work for other relays)
Distributor cap and rotor
spare of each belt
main fuel pump
crank reference sensor
coolant temperature sensor
Spare DME/ECU
Spare AFM (if you have one, not likely to fail)

For track stuff I'm also bringing along an extra set of brake pads, half shaft, front wheel bearing, brake fluid, 4 extra tires mounted on wheels :D
York

Post by York »

adam_poll wrote: Mar 28, 2023 4:25 PM I use my car as a track car and do all of my work myself, if I already have it, am equipped to do the work and there is space it comes along. Track time is expensive and the last thing I want is to be sidelined because a part I need is sitting in the garage at home. The car is being driven to events as well so I need to get home!

I won't give you part numbers as you can look up the specifics for your M5 but the following list should give you an idea. I try to hit the things that a local auto parts store would not keep in stock but would shut me down and are easily fixed. Things like coolant hoses, hose clamps etc. you can make do with universal parts to keep you going. Even if some of these are beyond what you would want to do yourself any competent mechanic could swap these out quickly for you.

Fuses
Bulbs
zip ties, electrical tape, gorilla tape, some wire, preferred fluids, multimeter
Bentley manual (doesn't cover M5 but still lots of useful info)
Main Relay (only used for this)
Fuel Pump Relay (this can also work for other relays)
Distributor cap and rotor
spare of each belt
main fuel pump
crank reference sensor
coolant temperature sensor
Spare DME/ECU
Spare AFM (if you have one, not likely to fail)

For track stuff I'm also bringing along an extra set of brake pads, half shaft, front wheel bearing, brake fluid, 4 extra tires mounted on wheels :D
Thanks for your response.
Those electronic parts are definitely on the list
The ECU , I hadn't considered but, your right