Replacing fuel lines at gas tank

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Mike MPD

Replacing fuel lines at gas tank

Post by Mike MPD »

Does the gas tank need to be lowered at all to replace the rubber feed/return lines, or should I be able to fish them through with the tank in place?

I am working front to back replacing all of my rubber fuel lines but also will be replacing the tank at some point in the future, so I wasn't sure if it made more sense to wait until Im ready to drop the tank.

Thanks!
1st 5er

Re: Replacing fuel lines at gas tank

Post by 1st 5er »

Tank does not need to come down to replace the lines..

If I might recommend doing the single pump in-tank replacement, while you're in there.
Mike MPD

Post by Mike MPD »

I was thinking about doing that when I swapped the tank as well, but I suppose there is no real reason to wait on that either.
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Shawn D. »

1st 5er is right that the tank doesn't need to be removed, but loosening the bolts so you have an extra 1/4"-3/8" of room is helpful.
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

Mike MPD wrote: Mar 22, 2023 9:36 AM I was thinking about doing that when I swapped the tank as well, but I suppose there is no real reason to wait on that either.
Fuel line replacement is typically part of the process since hose size changes.
There's peace of mind knowing a new pump.
Plus carrying a spare pump, which I do, and doing that road side repair, which I've not had to do, will be a much simpler task down the road.

I had a spare single pump replacement kit for wifey's '87 iS, Lil Red, in the boot for several years before installing it on the side of the road enroute to a TF event several years back.
Mike MPD

Post by Mike MPD »

1st 5er wrote: Mar 22, 2023 9:51 AM
Mike MPD wrote: Mar 22, 2023 9:36 AM I was thinking about doing that when I swapped the tank as well, but I suppose there is no real reason to wait on that either.
Fuel line replacement is typically part of the process since hose size changes.
There's peace of mind knowing a new pump.
Plus carrying a spare pump, which I do, and doing that road side repair, which I've not had to do, will be a much simpler task down the road.

I had a spare single pump replacement kit for wifey's '87 iS, Lil Red, in the boot for several years before installing it on the side of the road enroute to a TF event several years back.
Thanks, that makes sense. I was still pondering on that but you probably saved me from that oversight. Spring is here and Im getting antsy
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Shawn D. wrote: Mar 22, 2023 9:44 AM 1st 5er is right that the tank doesn't need to be removed, but loosening the bolts so you have an extra 1/4"-3/8" of room is helpful.
x100
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

All the above is correct if you are simply referring to the fuel supply and return lines.

But if you're talking about the vapor lines, which are commonly the source of gas odor, it's necessary to lower, but not remove the tank. Not a fun job, I've done it way too many times, but when it needs to be done it needs to be done.
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

Mike W. wrote: Mar 22, 2023 4:22 PM All the above is correct if you are simply referring to the fuel supply and return lines.

But if you're talking about the vapor lines, which are commonly the source of gas odor, it's necessary to lower, but not remove the tank. Not a fun job, I've done it way too many times, but when it needs to be done it needs to be done.
You've opened a whole new can of worms.

Another worthwhile while you're in there.
Mike MPD

Post by Mike MPD »

Yea holding off on vapor lines for now but will do that when I replace the tank. Going to order fuel pump today probably.