Pull and service my injectors or not?

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
EE TWO EIGHT

Pull and service my injectors or not?

Post by EE TWO EIGHT »

My 85 535i ran great when I asked it a year ago. I parked it to get it ready for a respray and air dam and to replace my fuel pumps. I have upgraded to the single in tank pump. Still have yet to find a front dam (Alpina style or M5) for a reasonable price shipped. But I have a new OEM fuel filter, and fuel pressure regulator to install. Question is should I pull and service the injectors or just leave then until I see if they are ok?
Blue Shadow

Re: Pull and service my injectors or not?

Post by Blue Shadow »

If you have problems with the way they work get em done.

Original injectors will allow the car to be started with the first bump of the starter with the key when cold. This is assuming the ICV is in fully correct operating condition.

Original injectors will allow the car to start with very little cranking when hot.

My original injectors would accomplish the first but the warm crank got longer and longer and I swapped em for some like new 5.0 'Stang injectors when that was a thing.

Now the cold start and hot start take the same fairly short crank to get the motor running. The cold bump of the key start is gone. I miss it but I don't have to sit there cranking when I jump into the ride already warmed up.
turbodan

Post by turbodan »

Leave em be.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

With -203 injectors, 85/86 IIRC, I had lots of problems with them getting dirty and leaking. I think I might have had the exact wrong use pattern to allow that, but I did. With -714 injectors I no longer had problems. YMMV. I'd still fire it up and see what happens, then make a decision.
EE TWO EIGHT

Post by EE TWO EIGHT »

Cool, I'll put the fuel pump and pressure regulator and filter back in and see how it runs and drives. Thanks!
BRRV
Location: Colorado High Plains / formerly The Lone Star State

Post by BRRV »

I mean, we should all have two sets: one in the car and one ready to be installed. I do mine every 50-60K. Honestly, unless they've got corrosion (which should be obvious as soon as you start the car and drive it) run some Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner (the stuff MM likes) through the car with your first tank of new fuel. Evaluate. I agree, the 714 injectors are better.