Speed and Reference sensor connector

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Dale3783

Speed and Reference sensor connector

Post by Dale3783 »

Does anyone know if and where to get a new connector for the reference and speed sensor? I unplugged them while changing injectors and both disintegrated. Everything was working before hand so I don't want to just replace both sensors but if I have to I will.

Thanks
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Re: Speed and Reference sensor connector

Post by Shawn D. »

They're not available separately, unfortunately.
a2058

Post by a2058 »

Try searching on Amazon for Bosch EV1 3 pin connector, they have male and female kits, may be something like those can be used?
Dale3783

Post by Dale3783 »

a2058 wrote: Mar 13, 2023 8:33 PM Try searching on Amazon for Bosch EV1 3 pin connector, they have male and female kits, may be something like those can be used?
Thank you, this is the first things I'm going to try. I just didn't know what they would have been called. I temporarily put the crumbled connectors back together just to hear the car run and now it has a miss/skip throughout the RPM range. It feels like all the new injectors are firing.
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

I was looking for the crank sensor plug on mine, which I think is the same connector. I found the harness side connector, not the sensor side in 3 pin. They exist in 2 pin though.

you may also find them listed as "mini timer" or "junior timer" connectors.
Arktis_Conviction

Post by Arktis_Conviction »

Are you looking for the speed and reference sensors that connect to the bellhousing? FCP calls this the crankshaft position sensor (which I guess it technically is). The speed and reference sensors are identical, so you will need 2 of them. This thread shows pics of the bellhousing, and where the sensors connect to it: viewtopic.php?t=148419 . This thread contains some very good information on the speed and reference sensors, and also how to test them: viewtopic.php?t=158325

Good luck. I'm currently in the process of diagnosing a no-start issue, and I believe the fault is one of these sensors. My car is an '84 733i. I'm not completely sure the same information relates to your '87 e28, but hopefully these links can give you some helpful information.
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

I believe the OP is referring to the connectors where those sensors plug into the wiring harness, on the bracket near the back of the engine. They’re plastic and eventually begin to deteriorate from exposure to engine heat. Finding replacements is a problem we’ll all face if we keep our cars long enough.

In order to prolong their life (as well as the life of other plastic and rubber under-hood bits) I pop my hood open and let the engine bay cool down after a drive. But my car’s strictly a fair-weather weekend driver; a routine like that would be very impractical on a car used every day.
adam_poll

Post by adam_poll »

I just went through finding replacement EV1 3 way connectors. It's easy to find ones that are terminated with pigtails but that makes for an ugly repair and compromises the shielding as well in this case.

To build your own connector with the easier to use push to release instead of that annoying clip you will need the following for each (this same connector is used on the TPS and Idle Control Valve)
1 x AMP ‎1-827578-1‎ 3 way connector
3 x ‎927771-3 17-20 Awg female connector sockets (get a couple of spares so you can screw up a few times)
1 x 880811-2‎ 3 way cover cap if you don't want to reuse your original rubber caps

These can all be found through Digi Key etc if you google those parts numbers. You will also need a proper crimper, this one is working for me - https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B077MHBCR8?psc ... ct_details, in the first picture the second set of dies down on the left are the proper ones.
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

^^^ Great info; thank you for posting it!

Hopefully the factory wiring harness has enough length to allow for cutting and crimping new terminals without stretching it. If not, I think the pre-assembled EV1 3-way connectors would be a good alternative if soldered and wrapped correctly and neatly.