E28 Service Indicator

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
skejm

E28 Service Indicator

Post by skejm »

Is Service Indicator somehow related to oil level or is it just an indication when some kind of service needs to be done? Etc - if my oil level is low, then the red light flashes?
Things I want to clarify: Oil service=oil needs to be changed; Inspection= car needs to be inspected?
1st 5er

Re: E28 Service Indicator

Post by 1st 5er »

You're on the right track.
OBC reads oil level.
SI reads oil condition (so to speak).
skejm

Post by skejm »

So if service indicator red lights flash, it does not have anything to with oil level?
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Shawn D. »

skejm wrote: Jan 24, 2023 9:49 AM So if service indicator red lights flash, it does not have anything to with oil level?
No. Being lit up red means the oil is at the end of its service life.

BTW, do you really mean "flash," or just "turn on"?
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

The check control located overhead and the SI lights are two completely different systems, unrelated in operation. The check control indicates a current problem, such as low oil or coolant. The SI is just a counter, fuel consumption I believe, which is supposed to tell you about when service is appropriate. Personally never went by them, I would change the oil every 5k miles or so and the SI would only suggest changes about every 9K miles, too far in my opinion. I just logged service as I did it and tried to do it on a mileage schedule.
skejm

Post by skejm »

Shawn D. wrote: Jan 24, 2023 11:25 AM
skejm wrote: Jan 24, 2023 9:49 AM So if service indicator red lights flash, it does not have anything to with oil level?
No. Being lit up red means the oil is at the end of its service life.

BTW, do you really mean "flash," or just "turn on"?
Flashing randomly several times.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

The word Check flashes and a red light on the check panel is illuminated on start up until the brakes are used as it then verifies the brake lights as working. If any of the other lamps or fluid levels are bad the Check light flashes and the red light over the mirror illuminates for that function which are always monitored and first tested based on this list.
Brake lights-tested as stated above
Rear lights, License plate lights and low beam headlights-tested when the lights are turned on

On vehicle turn on: Coolant, Washer fluid and Oil level, a two sensor unit, dynamic and static levels.
The brake light in the gauge cluster monitor brake fluid level as well as two pressure levels so it might flash instead of stay illuminated, but this is a different indicator.

The SII, Service Interval Indicator is the row of LEDs for the determination of the next needed service.
There are 5 green lights, a yellow and 1 or 3 red depending on the year of the vehicle.
The greens extinguish as time, number of starts, operating temperature and other inputs to the computer determine it is appropriate. If the lights are green they go out after start up.

The 5 green lights on my car, the first one goes out an hour and a half after reset. The next 4 take about 3500 miles EACH. Way too long, giving a 15000 mile recommended oil/service indication.

The indications change from oil to service, alternately as an oil change is recommended between Inspection I and Inspection II.

When the engine wear adds up, the first yellow light comes on with the indication of the type of service needed. It does not go out when the car is running. Red lights add on as you ignore the Service Indicator and don't reset it.

If the SI is not reset in a year the system might illuminate the yellow light and a service recommended...time only based.

My SI is currently at 2 Red lights with the third coming on sometimes when I'm out driving around for a while. Both Oil Change and Inspection are shown as I have decided to just see what it does. Had this car long enough to have a regular service as needed on my timetable, not the incorrect Service Interval Indicator's idea of what is right. If I'd done that, the motor would be worn out by now with old, tired oil coursing through it passages.

As stated the systems are separate.