The common e28 no start.

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
larrypzlast

The common e28 no start.

Post by larrypzlast »

Hello everyone! Long time e30 owner and I had stumbled across an 1988 528e I got for free! The downside is it was a bit of a mess as the previous owner was a young man who was in over his head.

Anyway, I got in my garage and did the timing belt first thing it was ancient other maintenance items etc. Fuel pressure gauge reads 40psi. I confirmed spark, I pulled the fuel rail and watched each injector fire (some better than others) it has 715 injectors from a m20 2.5L. Yet the car cranks and cranks and cranks but never starts. I threw in some copper plugs just for now as the old ones were in abysmal shape. After reading numerous no start posts for super etas and trying the methods there I can't seem to pin it down.

Can an ecu soft fail and not drive the injectors fully? It seemed during firing some were weak.

Next course of action is to take the Injectors to a local spot and have them flow tested. After that I'm kind of at a loss.

I did try just a smidgen of ether (I'm aware of the risks involved) engine fired and ran beautifully for about 2-4 seconds then just dies.
1st 5er

Re: The common e28 no start.

Post by 1st 5er »

By "injectors fire" if you mean you saw fuel flow thru, then I'd guess yes they probably need cleaning.
larrypzlast

Re: The common e28 no start.

Post by larrypzlast »

Yeah they squirted, pulsed, fired, actuated but even as weak as they seemed I figured the car would at least try to start.

Mainly posted my next course of action to bounce off of others brains. Sometimes a second head is nice to query.