87’ 528e fuses

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Hahadaily55

87’ 528e fuses

Post by Hahadaily55 »

Hey everyone I’m trying to find a “main relay” for my bmw but I have no clue where to find one. Anyone know where I could find one? I’ve already tried bmw genuine parts
John in VA

Re: 87’ 528e fuses

Post by John in VA »

I'd post a Want to Buy request in the classified section. Good luck!
viewforum.php?f=4
Aldo525

Post by Aldo525 »

Hahadaily55 wrote: Jan 05, 2023 12:29 PM Hey everyone I’m trying to find a “main relay” for my bmw but I have no clue where to find one. Anyone know where I could find one? I’ve already tried bmw genuine parts
Have the old one???...a picture will help to find a new one.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

It's confusing. There are a bunch of relays with both BMW and Bosch and perhaps Hella part numbers, so multiple part numbers may be correct. BMW in particular often supersedes parts with a different part number doing the same thing so the new part may have a different number than the old part. Maddening. I did a bit of searching for you and this appears to be the correct part. https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/0332019109

Also read up here, viewtopic.php?t=77493 and RonW's post here, viewtopic.php?t=66066&highlight=

Important stuff. It's a unique 5 pin relay, containing a 30, 85, 86 and (2) 87 contacts. Or the rare 87 and 87b contacts instead of 2, 87s. If it has a 87a terminal it's the wrong one. Apparently, typically, green relays are the wrong one, white is the one you want, but I can't say for sure. Compare old and new. Again, 5 pins and if it has an 87a pin it's the wrong one. Big deal, it won't work at all if it has an 87a. But even if it has the right number and labeling of terminals, they can be in the wrong place, hence compare old to new.

It's confusing, but there's a bunch of info on this site, search if you're still not clear. I would be more than happy with either a BMW, Bosch or Hella relay if it's the right one. The common made in China mystery relays may or may not be ok, but I would look for the big 3 I mentioned last sentence. The good part is they're not expensive, just confusing.

On the confusion aspect, I've been around these cars and their stablemates of the same era for over 20 years and 200K and I still have to look things up and compare them. Blunttech seems to get particularly good reviews these days, it might be worth a phone call to them.
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Shawn D. »

Hey, Hahadaily55, please post questions like this in Tech talk, not general conversation. Also, please edit your title to match the actual subject, as you are talking about a main relay, not fuses.