SOLVED: Rear Driver side half inch lower than rest of car

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
matreyia

SOLVED: Rear Driver side half inch lower than rest of car

Post by matreyia »

My rear driver side was sagging half inch more than all the other wheels. I noticed this after a few weeks of brand new Bilstein shocks install. Double checked all suspension bushings and could not see anything damaged.

Solution:
Replaced both rear shocks with upgraded Bilstein B6
Replaced both rear springs with Lesforjors Springs new

I compared the springs and it appears that after 33 years, the old springs suffered from metal fatigue and were different heights.
I will update over the weeks as the car settles.
matreyia

NOT SOLVED: Rear Driver side half inch lower than rest of car

Post by matreyia »

OK, I spoke too soon.
The car is still half inch lower at the driver side rear wheel than the passenger, even with new springs and shocks.
Pitman arms replaced, differential mount replaced... no visible damage to any bushings at all... No idea what this is about. Car drives straight and no issues. Anyone have same issue and find out what this is about?

:shock:
1st 5er

Re: SOLVED: Rear Driver side half inch lower than rest of car

Post by 1st 5er »

Trailing arm bushings?

Since your old springs are different heights,
how about just swapping them from side to side?
matreyia

Re: SOLVED: Rear Driver side half inch lower than rest of car

Post by matreyia »

I think it might have been an optical illusion due to placing the two springs side by side and the ends of the coils at different spots. I mean, I be damned if I can see any damage to any of the bushings...even poking inside the rubber parts, everything feels solid with zero crumbling. I will have to buy an e28 bushing kit to remove and install those bushings. Will probably do all of them while I am down there. Watch me take them out and they literally do a Dracula crumbling after stake in the heart thing...after they come out. It's always when you don't expect there to be anything extraordinary to happen...then the most ridiculous extraordinary thing happens.

Just yesterday, I replaced all the mounting brackets and toothed bolts for the alternator, Power steering, and AC compressor...seems like a non-event right? NOPE. started the car and suddenly the check engine light comes on. OK then... I thought, maybe too tight causing over charge on alternator? So loosened all three belts to give more slack. No dice. So went to check gas cap...was on tight.

Reset the check engine light...was an O2 error and checked all air related hoses with nothing out of the ordinary. Test drove and light pops back on.
Over two hours testing then suddenly that shit went off... so gonna test drive today to see if it comes back.

All I gotta say is "WTF?"