Help with GETRAG 265

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Fredo162

Help with GETRAG 265

Post by Fredo162 »

Hey guys, surprise I have another question! I need to remove my transmission on my 1985 535i with the Getrag 265. I can't reach the top 2 bolts on the bell housing and was wondering how ya'll approached this. Do you lower the transmission? I fear that'll damage the shaft, so I'm wondering if separating the transmission from the bell housing is an option or will that further complicate the situation. It's my first time removing a transmission and it's showing. :dunno:

Mike W.

Re: Help with GETRAG 265

Post by Mike W. »

Yeah, lower the rear of the tranny as far as it goes down. Then with at least 3 feet of extensions, and maybe a U joint, but maybe not, I've done a bunch but not recently. More extensions act like something of a U joint too. Yes, they're super tight as they all are, they'll be a snap and shock to your hands when you break them loose, and be super careful if you still have the torx bolts, you don't want to strip them, but it can be done. I've done my own more than once and pulled a bunch from junkyards.

I've pulled them from M20s by disconnecting the bellhousing from the tranny, and some feel that is the easy way on M30 cars, but I've never done it that way myself on M30 cars.
Fredo162

Post by Fredo162 »

Mike W. wrote: Jul 01, 2022 8:47 PM Yeah, lower the rear of the tranny as far as it goes down. Then with at least 3 feet of extensions, and maybe a U joint, but maybe not, I've done a bunch but not recently. More extensions act like something of a U joint too. Yes, they're super tight as they all are, they'll be a snap and shock to your hands when you break them loose, and be super careful if you still have the torx bolts, you don't want to strip them, but it can be done. I've done my own more than once and pulled a bunch from junkyards.

I've pulled them from M20s by disconnecting the bellhousing from the tranny, and some feel that is the easy way on M30 cars, but I've never done it that way myself on M30 cars.
Hell yea, thanks for your help!
austin8753

Post by austin8753 »

split the gearbox from the bell housing, then undo the bell housing hardware. you might be able to mess around and get it all to drop as an assembly, but that's not how it was intended to be, IMHO.

to get the left upper 19mm head nut, securing the gearbox to the bell housing, you'll have to make or buy a tool, since there really isn't any room to get in there with a socket.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

austin8753 wrote: Jul 01, 2022 9:25 PM split the gearbox from the bell housing, then undo the bell housing hardware. you might be able to mess around and get it all to drop as an assembly, but that's not how it was intended to be, IMHO.
This is the one distinct advantage of a 265 over a 260; take advantage of it as well.
Fredo162

Post by Fredo162 »

Mike W. wrote: Jul 01, 2022 8:47 PM Yeah, lower the rear of the tranny as far as it goes down. Then with at least 3 feet of extensions, and maybe a U joint, but maybe not, I've done a bunch but not recently. More extensions act like something of a U joint too. Yes, they're super tight as they all are, they'll be a snap and shock to your hands when you break them loose, and be super careful if you still have the torx bolts, you don't want to strip them, but it can be done. I've done my own more than once and pulled a bunch from junkyards.

Update: I've removed all of the bellhousing bolts and the transmission won't budge, I've lifted and lowered it, tried sticking a prybar in there, tapped it with a mallet and still nothing. Does the starter need removed? Does it need drained? What can I do differently?
Fredo162

Post by Fredo162 »

Update: Got the transmission removed, photographed is the transmission, bell housing, the tool used to remove it, and the reason why I'm removing it, feel free to leave any input on how you would repair this, I'm gonna take it to a fabricator/machinist and see what they can do. Thanks again for all the help guys.

Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Allright, first step out.

If the problem you're referring to is wear on the right shift mount ear, and probably slop in shifting etc, you're not the first. Those ears that come out, the right one of which appears to be well worn, can be a problem. I had one where both ears were broken off, completely, but unevenly. In my case, I drilled all the way into the tranny interior, further than I really wanted to, fabricated some spacers, not the same on both sides, imagining points, tapped where I'd drilled, used prodigious amounts of red locktite, and it came out damn near perfect. Better of course to be lucky than good.

Now machinist is fine, but it's not rocket science. If what I'm guessing is the problem, is the problem, don't overthink it. Your eyeballs are probably pretty good, between that and locktite I'd bet you can come pretty close.

And a universal I might add, the selector shaft seal is leaking. As with every M/T BMW.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Mike W. wrote: Jul 03, 2022 12:14 AMAnd a universal I might add, the selector shaft seal is leaking. As with every M/T BMW.
Yes,you need to replace these:

Also, what fluid are you going to use? I have been religious with Redline MT90 but was recently told to try Swepco 201 80/90 to combat a noisy input shaft bearing. I haven't done it yet but it is on the list before my next long road trip in September.