Am I missing a relay?

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
nautilus

Am I missing a relay?

Post by nautilus »

I have another thread where I'm trying to get my '84 533i started after a period of hibernation, but wanted to start a new thread to see if I can get a quick answer on this one

I was swapping out the OBC unit (had failed, internal fuse holder damaged) and noticed an empty relay in the far back of the drivers footwell. Can anybody confirm what it's for and if I do need to put a relay in there, which one it should be?

I know there are instances when there could be empty relays, but even though this is a manual transmission, I don't think it's the correct relay to be empty. Could I be missing a starter relay?

Thanks
Blue Shadow

Re: Am I missing a relay?

Post by Blue Shadow »

We got no idea since we don't know the car you have. Additionally, there are relay sockets that go unused on US cars, ones that allow the windows to be operated without the key with a door open, for example. BMW didn't want the US lawyers to have an option to sue for that one.

get the ETM for your car from www.e38.org/e28 middle of the left column. It is the wiring diagrams for the US cars based on model year.
nautilus

Post by nautilus »

Hi Blue - I did note at the beginning of the post, that I have an '84 533i - I'll dig through those diagrams and see what I can find though
nautilus

Post by nautilus »

I think it might be the seatbelt warning timer relay - not essential by all accounts.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Use the wire colors to figure out what it might go to.
nautilus

Post by nautilus »

Mike W. wrote: Jun 29, 2022 10:30 PM Use the wire colors to figure out what it might go to.
Looks like it was the seatbelt and internal light relay - I hadn't noticed the door open lights weren't working as I've been so focused on getting the engine running. I picked up a used replacement relay from eBay (p/n 1373975) and all is good now on that front. I've got a replacement starter relay coming in a couple of days, just in case that's contributing to my non-running engine issues.

Thanks