Help me identify this chip

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
rcurtin

Help me identify this chip

Post by rcurtin »

I spent far too long looking through all the receipts I have for my car back to 1988 to try to find where this particular chip might have come from:

Is it a Dinan chip? D'sylva? Bavauto? Compaq? DEC?

I couldn't find anything in the receipts. How sad. But anyway if your name is Ron C, and you lived in Houston in the 2000s, I have your car now. It doesn't have seemingly monthly coolant failures and no-starts anymore. Unlike an E36 M3 I recently sold... :ohyeah:
garageboy

Re: Help me identify this chip

Post by garageboy »

rcurtin wrote: Jun 28, 2022 6:24 PM Is it a Dinan chip? D'sylva? Bavauto? Compaq? DEC?
DEC? Hahaha, thanks for making me feel not-quite-so-old with that joke... I miss my former employer...

I'm going to guess Jim Conforti on that chip. But I'm guessing. If I wanted to be sure, I'd have to go dig through some parts to find my old E28 ECU where I installed a JimC chip (I drive a supereta now; no chip).
rcurtin

Post by rcurtin »

garageboy wrote: Jun 29, 2022 1:34 AM
rcurtin wrote: Jun 28, 2022 6:24 PM Is it a Dinan chip? D'sylva? Bavauto? Compaq? DEC?
DEC? Hahaha, thanks for making me feel not-quite-so-old with that joke... I miss my former employer...

I'm going to guess Jim Conforti on that chip. But I'm guessing. If I wanted to be sure, I'd have to go dig through some parts to find my old E28 ECU where I installed a JimC chip (I drive a supereta now; no chip).
Thanks! It doesn't look like a D'sylva or Dinan chip based on the pictures I've seen, but I haven't seen a picture of any Conforti chips.
garageboy

Post by garageboy »

rcurtin wrote: Jun 30, 2022 10:29 PMThanks! It doesn't look like a D'sylva or Dinan chip based on the pictures I've seen, but I haven't seen a picture of any Conforti chips.
The more I think about it, this chip looks kinda "pre-production". When Jim C decided to actually start SELLING his chips, I think he started using the shark logo, as I recall, and later on, if you do a google image search, Turner was selling his chips so they were identifiable that way. You might have something very special if it's one of those early ones... :shock: