M20 Transmission Top Bolts Easy Removal Method

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Dman10311

M20 Transmission Top Bolts Easy Removal Method

Post by Dman10311 »

With the top bolt next to the starter being such a PITA I invented a new way of removing it without having to string together extensions and keep the transmission attached while taking out an m20 on the e28
Step 1:
Buy these SATA 4-Piece E-Torx Box Wrench Set - ST09012SJ https://a.co/d/4pINCB9 (non affiliate link) you specifically need a e14 torx wrench (Any e14 torx wrench will do, this is just the set I used personally)

Step 2:
Grab a torch of any caliber I used one of those small hand held map gas torches

Step 3:
Put the wrench in a vice and bend it anywhere between 22 and 45 degrees and wala you have yourself a way to get the bolt from the top
Only downside being you can not torque this one specific bolt but arm strength should be enough to avoid hours of frustration. Also starter needs to be removed to do this.

Step 4:
With the right amount of bend you can get at both the bolt next to the starter and the one by the exhaust manifolds with relative ease
turbodan

Re: M20 Transmission Top Bolts Easy Removal Method

Post by turbodan »

If I remember correctly a 10mm box end wrench gets a very good grip on that torx head just the same. Done that many times.
Dman10311

Re: M20 Transmission Top Bolts Easy Removal Method

Post by Dman10311 »

turbodan wrote: Jun 29, 2022 6:48 PM If I remember correctly a 10mm box end wrench gets a very good grip on that torx head just the same. Done that many times.
we tried removing it with a box end wrench and it wouldnt get onto it good