Bringing an e28 out of hibernation - won't stay running

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
nautilus

Re: Bringing an e28 out of hibernation - won't stay running

Post by nautilus »

Okay, injectors are out - even after soaking them with penetrating oil for a couple of days, 3 of them still needed levering off with a crow bar (took fuel rail off first).

Unsurprisingly, they're pretty grimy so I was thinking of taking the big hammer approach and replacing them with rebuilt units from GB, or is the general consensus to just replace O-rings and give them a good clean with brake cleaner?

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/ ... 88&DID=283

Also, when disconnecting the fuel rail, it looks like there was still some bad gas trapped in the pipe leading to the cold start valve - I know I have fresh gas getting to the fuel rail, so that's the only reason I can figure for this off colored gas being present...

tseohs

Post by tseohs »

Regarding injectors, Cruzin Performance is not currently cleaning injectors. So I sent my injectors to HPI at

https://highperformanceinjectors.com/pa ... g-services

They provided before, during, and after videos to show exactly what condition the injectors were in and proof of correct spray pattern and flow afterward. Of course they replace o-rings and caps and several of mine needed some other attention. I first sent them a set of 6 from the b34 which they were able to clean and get perfect. Unfortunately one was damaged in return shipping. They graciously offered to do the 2nd set from the b35 for free. That's when I found out 3 were bad. All reassembled and running like a champ.
nautilus

Post by nautilus »

tseohs wrote: Jul 28, 2022 3:15 PM Regarding injectors, Cruzin Performance is not currently cleaning injectors. So I sent my injectors to HPI at

https://highperformanceinjectors.com/pa ... g-services

They provided before, during, and after videos to show exactly what condition the injectors were in and proof of correct spray pattern and flow afterward. Of course they replace o-rings and caps and several of mine needed some other attention. I first sent them a set of 6 from the b34 which they were able to clean and get perfect. Unfortunately one was damaged in return shipping. They graciously offered to do the 2nd set from the b35 for free. That's when I found out 3 were bad. All reassembled and running like a champ.
Thanks for the referral! I contacted them via text and am shipping mine off tomorrow.
nautilus

Post by nautilus »

Final update for this thread....

Getting the injectors shipped off for cleaning & testing worked! After I put everything back together, the car started and ran the first time - I'm sure it wouldn't have been that way, had I not gone through everything else in the thread first. Anyway, I'm very happy and I couldn't have done it without the forum!
:beer:

Still a long way off from it being sorted though; new list of things to work through:
  • The idle is very inconsistent - doesn't stall but oscillates high and low; throttle might also be sticking a wee bit
  • The front brakes are shot - a quick drive through our neighborhood and I had to use the handbrake to stop
  • Speedo isn't working
  • Engine temp gauge isn't working (& it needs a coolant flush)
  • New wheels & tires, suspension, seals
  • Etc, etc, etc.... :D
I won't update this thread with anything above, I'll start a something new and specific to the problem, if I hit a dead end,
Thanks again!
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

nautilus wrote: Aug 06, 2022 5:18 PM
  • Speedo isn't working
  • Engine temp gauge isn't working
Makes me think SI board. When the batteries go the gauges do weird things.