Where to get brake calipers rebuilt/refinished?

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
AlpinaB7

Where to get brake calipers rebuilt/refinished?

Post by AlpinaB7 »

I've been out of the game for a while but there used to be places to get brake calipers rebuilt and they would refinish them to the appropriate chromate finish or whatever was the finish in 1985. My calipers have an Alpina specific part number (which just might be M5 calipers) so i'd like to make sure I get back the calipers I send in instead of a swap. Who is the go to place now?

TIA
John
Etip

Re: Where to get brake calipers rebuilt/refinished?

Post by Etip »

I had Goldline in Seattle do the calipers on my Alfa duetto. They did a very good job.
AlpinaB7

Post by AlpinaB7 »

Thanks. I'll check them out. I need to do my Alfa's too.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Where are you located?
There are a few really good plating shops here in SoCal that will re-plate calipers. If you're not local, then you will have to work out shipping to and from and that could get costly due to weight.
Any decent plating shop should be able to do this. Stick with the smaller ones as larger corporate shops tend to either specialize (aircraft, auto manufacturers, medical, etc.) or want large minimum orders just to walk in the door.
AlpinaB7

Post by AlpinaB7 »

I’m in the Boston area. I’ll look around
tylerrose

Post by tylerrose »

AlpinaB7 wrote: Jun 08, 2022 6:53 PM I've been out of the game for a while but there used to be places to get brake calipers rebuilt and they would refinish them to the appropriate chromate finish or whatever was the finish in 1985. My calipers have an Alpina specific part number (which just might be M5 calipers) so i'd like to make sure I get back the calipers I send in instead of a swap. Who is the go to place now?

TIA
John
I’ve used John Hayworth (hayworthracingbrakes.com) a few times. He currently has my M5’s ATE calipers to split, plate and rebuild. Expect 8-10 week turnaround, however.

PMB Performance in Utah is highly regarded in the Porsche community. They seem to have a quicker turnaround time.
ilovemycat

Post by ilovemycat »

Curious as to what you guys are paying just for plating , no disassembly or rebuild work. I was quoted 300 cad for all 4 . Seemed a bit crazy to me .
jhh925

Post by jhh925 »

ilovemycat wrote: Jun 16, 2022 12:01 PM Curious as to what you guys are paying just for plating , no disassembly or rebuild work. I was quoted 300 cad for all 4 . Seemed a bit crazy to me .
I had four sets of M5 front calipers done at EPS in San Leandro for $189. That's a bit more than two entire brake sets, so just one set there would hit their minimum, which I think is $108.

Each set was: calipers + pistons (white zinc) + pins + clips (yellow zinc) + the M11 (?) bolts (black zinc).

If you're in the Bay Area, I can't say enough good stuff about EPS. 10/10 would recommend.
ilovemycat

Post by ilovemycat »

Thanks , I'll see if i can shop around a bit then . The chrome plating shop I called seemed particularly disinterested in doing something that wasn't a bumper for a 50's chevy.