Shifter issues, please help!

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Fredo162

Shifter issues, please help!

Post by Fredo162 »

Hey guys, long story not so short I slept on replacing the flex coupling on my driveshaft, driving home I rested my hand in 2nd gear and felt a vibrating in the shifter and heard thumping under the car, I limped the car home and found that the flex coupling was torn to bits but I also found that when I drove the car into the garage I couldn't find 1st or 3rd. I'm installing a UUC Short shift kit because I have the downtime but I'm noticing the guide and youtube are illustrating a component I'm not seeing. Attached are pictures of what I'm seeing, the old shifter, and the new kit. By the looks of it I'm somehow missing my shifter carrier? I did hear a pinging sound on the road as if something fell out, is there something missing? Is this even possible? Any help is appreciated, thank you

kojo96

Re: Shifter issues, please help!

Post by kojo96 »

It looks like your shifter carrier (aluminum) broke. 1st image sort of shows that and the view into the hole in the trans tunnel. Where your finger is pointing at the shift rod, that end slips into the bottom of the shifter and secured, the shifter is held in place within the carrier.

Still available new but someone may have a spare they can expedite to you, car won't drive without it.
adam_poll

Post by adam_poll »

That's pretty wild to lose the shift carrier without it taking the shifter with it, it's situated above the selector rod. What year and model is your car?
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

What year and model is it? The tranny appears to be a G265 which only came on 82 etas and 85, 535s, but both had sheet metal supports, not the rod the later ones used. I see one of the rubber mounts that it mounted to, which I don't believe the rod type support used. The rubber mount that goes on the tab is missing, but if it was ripped off it wouldn't have put up any fight at all. The bolts/studs that attach the sheet metal to the tranny often are loose or strip out, which could have led to one side unsupported, coming down on the guibo and having the entire assy ripped off.
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Shawn D. »

Yeah, you have no shifter carrier, which on G265s is a wide piece of sheetmetal, not the later aluminum "bone" thing. How it departed without taking the shifter and rod would be the main question.