Motor mounts not lining up SOLVED

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Fredo162

Motor mounts not lining up SOLVED

Post by Fredo162 »

Hey guys, I just finished replacing my oil pan gasket. I jacked up the motor, removed the motor mount nuts, and jacked up the motor high enough to clear the subframe and oil pump to remove the pan. I held the motor in place with an engine support bar. After installing the pan I lowered the motor and it seems the motor shifted forward somehow, I can't for the life of me get both mounts to line up with the holes. Any advice?
If the images don't load:

SOLVED:
I ended up disconnecting the driveshaft but what really saved me was loosening all of the hardware on the engine mounts, thanks guys!

https://flic.kr/p/2no4EtX
https://flic.kr/p/2no5JUe
https://flic.kr/p/2no4J1S
Last edited by Fredo162 on Jun 07, 2022 7:28 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Shadow

Re: Motor mounts not lining up

Post by Blue Shadow »

The motor and trans mounts are what make these units fit longitudinally in the car. There is room to move these with the slip joint in the driveshaft. If you moved the motor far enough it might have pulled the driveshaft out a bit.

I would loosen the motor mounts and see if they will reach where they need to go, top and bottom and then start tightening. But I haven't had this issue with my car.
Fredo162

Post by Fredo162 »

Blue Shadow wrote: May 26, 2022 9:08 PM The motor and trans mounts are what make these units fit longitudinally in the car. There is room to move these with the slip joint in the driveshaft. If you moved the motor far enough it might have pulled the driveshaft out a bit.

I would loosen the motor mounts and see if they will reach where they need to go, top and bottom and then start tightening. But I haven't had this issue with my car.
Ok I'll try that tomorrow, I didn't know that about the drives haft, I definitely think that explains it. Thank you.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Might need to loosen the big nut on the slip joint in the middle of the driveshaft cause you won't be using hydraulic force to push things back where they belong.
austin8753

Post by austin8753 »

loosen all the bolts that fasten the aluminum mount arms to the engine, as well as the nuts on the top of the arm, where the rubber mount secures to the arm. try re-fitting them again, at that point.
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Shawn D. »

I've found that loosening the top bolts of the rubber mounts (to the point they're about to fall off) is sufficient. I've never needed to resort to loosening the mount-to-engine bolts.
matreyia

Post by matreyia »

I agree with Fredo... the transmission may have been pulled forward at the shaft. Should go backwards easily though as there should not be any mismatched splines or anything. There's only a limited length it moves.
Ju@n

Post by Ju@n »

That doesn't look like much, I'd say you can probably push the engine back (ask a friend to push while you guide the motor mounts :laugh: )