Melting headlight switch and wiring

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
orthar

Melting headlight switch and wiring

Post by orthar »

After a short drive yesterday I parked my car, turned off the headlights and got out, turned around and seen the cab was filling with smoke. I saw it was coming from the headlight switch and unplugged it. From how it looks, pins 3,4,5 on the back of the switch were the ones melting. Seems like the wiring from those pins are also melting, one of which completely melted in half. I ordered a new headlight switch and connector in hopes maybe that'll be the fix. Could there maybe be anything else causing this? Shotty wiring? A short somewhere? Who knows? I know I don't. THANKS!
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Re: Melting headlight switch and wiring

Post by Shawn D. »

orthar wrote: May 24, 2022 10:03 AMShotty wiring? A short somewhere?
Welcome -- I see this is your first post. Please read and heed the Forum and Tech FAQ sections.

Also, being your first post, you most likely don't know that I'm infamous for correcting folks' writing. So, here you go: "shoddy," not "shotty." ;)

You're going to need to ohm-out the wiring to see if there are any breaks or shorts, and that there's continuity. My bet is a short caused by chafing on a bracket.
orthar

Re: Melting headlight switch and wiring

Post by orthar »

Shawn D. wrote: May 26, 2022 10:58 AM
orthar wrote: May 24, 2022 10:03 AMShotty wiring? A short somewhere?
Welcome -- I see this is your first post. Please read and heed the Forum and Tech FAQ sections.

Also, being your first post, you most likely don't know that I'm infamous for correcting folks' writing. So, here you go: "shoddy," not "shotty." ;)

You're going to need to ohm-out the wiring to see if there are any breaks or shorts, and that there's continuity. My bet is a short caused by chafing on a bracket.
haha thank you, will ohm-out the wire and checks for shorts. Thanks!