Are e28 535 model doors cross compatible?

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
haveyoumetken

Are e28 535 model doors cross compatible?

Post by haveyoumetken »

It's my first time posting so apologies for being a noob. We have an e28 535is and the driver rear door is rusting out pretty bad. Tried getting a repair estimate but no one wants to touch it and was told to just find a replacement in better shape to be repainted. I found an e28 535e door for sale not far from me but was unsure if this would fit? Does anyone know if the door fitments are the same across the 535 models? (i, e, is, m, etc)

Thanks in advance!
south26

Re: Are e28 535 model doors cross compatible?

Post by south26 »

So doors from all e28 will work. There is no 535e. So guessing it is a 528e.
If the 528e is 82-early 85 you will need to change the wiring and the actuator since the locking system changed in late 85.

Andy
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Shawn D. »

haveyoumetken wrote: May 23, 2022 12:51 PM It's my first time posting so apologies for being a noob.
Welcome! Please read and heed the Forum and Tech FAQ sections. Now that's out of the way, please do not post technical questions in General Conversation. That's why I'm moving this thread.

There are some minor differences in things like exterior door handle bumpers (early is on the door, late is on the handle) and lock actuator fasteners, but all E28 doors will interchange. There's no such thing as a model-specific door.
haveyoumetken

Post by haveyoumetken »

Thanks, sorry about posting in the wrong place, was in a rush to make the purchase and was a bit overwhelmed by a new forum.
Shawn D. wrote: May 24, 2022 9:28 AM
haveyoumetken wrote: May 23, 2022 12:51 PM It's my first time posting so apologies for being a noob.
Welcome! Please read and heed the Forum and Tech FAQ sections. Now that's out of the way, please do not post technical questions in General Conversation. That's why I'm moving this thread.

There are some minor differences in things like exterior door handle bumpers (early is on the door, late is on the handle) and lock actuator fasteners, but all E28 doors will interchange. There's no such thing as a model-specific door.