M30 cylinder head storage ?

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
kojo96

M30 cylinder head storage ?

Post by kojo96 »

What's the best way to store a rebuilt M30 cylinder head?

Thanks
Mike W.

Re: M30 cylinder head storage ?

Post by Mike W. »

Someplace reasonably dry, rust isn't likely to be much of a problem, but possible. Spacers or something to keep the valves from contacting the storage surface if they're installed. I've been known to use head bolts coming up from the surface. Nothing really special, just protect it from obvious physical damage.
kojo96

Post by kojo96 »

Mike W. wrote: May 19, 2022 11:53 PM Someplace reasonably dry, rust isn't likely to be much of a problem, but possible. Spacers or something to keep the valves from contacting the storage surface if they're installed. I've been known to use head bolts coming up from the surface. Nothing really special, just protect it from obvious physical damage.
Thanks Mike, good info but I was mostly interested in preventing corrosion in the valve train/camshaft. Like the head bolt tip. I've seen heads on shelves in storage amd they seemed to have been coated with ???
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

The heads I've stored for a while have always had years of oiling on them which protected them to a degree. A valve cover isn't a bad idea and maybe just put the whole thing in a plastic garbage bag. I'll also use 1/2 nuts on the head bolts to keep them from falling out. I can't recall if I had to run a tap thru them or not, I think I was able to just thread them on. They're too big, you could just about strip them by hand, but just enough to keep the bolts from coming out and about a buck cheaper each than the correct metric nuts which would be 12X1.75 IIRC.
Nebraska_e28
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Nebraska_e28 »

I do a light coat of wd-40. Has worked for me.
kojo96

Post by kojo96 »

Nebraska_e28 wrote: May 31, 2022 8:57 AM I do a light coat of wd-40. Has worked for me.
Perfect, thanks LJ