Jeez I Hate Sunroofs

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
jyl

Jeez I Hate Sunroofs

Post by jyl »

I wish US E28s had come with a sunroof delete option.

Some months ago I pulled the panel, replaced the sunroof “seals” and cleared the drains. I still got the occasional drip on my neck, so today a buddy and I took a closer look.

The rain gutter that is under the trailing edge of the panel was missing. #12 on https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=54_0021

We fished around in the nether recesses of the roof with magnet pickups, found the gutter, and slid it forward on its tracks. The rods #9 and plastic clips were still there, so we clipped the rod to the gutter and put everything back together, starting with reinstalling the panel.

Or tried to. The inner cover wouldn’t slide easily. Panel off. Investigation found someone had gooped glue around, probably to stick back bits of headliner, and we cleaned everything up with acetone and dry lube. Panel on. The bushings for the rods that lift the sunroof were missing. # 19 on https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=54_0070 Without those bushings, the rods don’t smoothly engage the inner panel and we had to lift the panel to engage the rods with the sunroof raised.

Then the metal clips holding the inner panel got dislodged. Panel off, find and reseat the clips. Panel on. Rods came disengaged. Got them back engaged. This got repeated - that darn panel was removed and reinstalled four times.

Finally my sunroof is back together, working, and hopefully won’t drip onto my neck anymore.

The good part is that I feel overly familiar with the workings of the sunroof. The bad part is that I don’t even want a sunroof, I just need this giant hole in my roof to not leak.

Sigh.
Mike W.

Re: Jeez I Hate Sunroofs

Post by Mike W. »

On the other hand, I really like sunroofs, but rarely use them. But I have to admit that there's nothing like something that you're not really a big fan of in the first place, but if it's all f***ed up can drive you to absolutely hate it.

But 80's BMWs just had it nailed in terms of operation. Past tense. The E39 has just one switch, but multiple functions, first detent, full, push up, auto full open close, my Datsun, Infiniti QX4, which was really close to BMW 5 series in price when it was new, needs two buttons/switches to perform what an E28, or late E12 for that matter, could do with just one switch. Of course it also has 4 valves and variable valve timing to do what a M30B35 did, but that's a different story.
jyl

Post by jyl »

I have three cars with sunroofs.

My 911 (1989) has one, which means my head brushes the headliner and when I used to A/X it, there was no room for a helmet. Since a helmet is required, I had to remove the driver’s seat and bolt a racing bucket to the floorpan, and when helmeted remove the cushion and sit on the fiberglass shell. Boo.

The E28 (1986) has one, which of course is the unloved subject of my post. It has clearly been messed with, and not competently, and it’s legacy of leaks includes damaged headliner which will be an unwelcome future job.

My wife’s W124 (1994) has one, and that’s the only one I cannot complain about. It leaks not at all, operates smoothly, and I have enough headroom, especially as I’ll never wear a helmet in that car.

I need to remove the 911 sunroof for paint, but it no longer functions, so that’ll be lots of fun.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

jyl wrote: May 14, 2022 8:23 PM Jeez I Hate Sunroofs

Then the metal clips holding the inner panel got dislodged. Panel off, find and reseat the clips. Panel on. Rods came disengaged. Got them back engaged. This got repeated - that darn panel was removed and reinstalled four times.

The good part is that I feel overly familiar with the workings of the sunroof.

Sigh.
I was changing the inner panel on the sunroof and was able to twist one of the #9 rods into a pretzel. Fortunately, the panel being replaced had those parts. Still did the same, messed with it four times or more to get it back together. So I hate sunroof work for sure.

Difference is I did not get overly familiar with the workings of the sunroof or I would be able to do that work more easily. Not going to happen. All I know is one must follow the repair manual steps in reattaching the inner panel or it will not go in place.
jyl

Post by jyl »

A friend recently bought an E28 from Japan - a tin top. Lucky him!