535is Dinan ECU chip?

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Chrisjmyron23

535is Dinan ECU chip?

Post by Chrisjmyron23 »

Anyone running this chip? What are your thoughts?
Link for PN
https://www.dinancars.com/products/soft ... /D900-3521
Mike W.

Re: 535is Dinan ECU chip?

Post by Mike W. »

I had one in mine long ago. I might have been able to notice just a teeny, tiny bit of difference. Maybe. I also had a Conforti and it did absolutely nothing. Some swear by either or both, I just swore at them. I know changing the timing on a car with a conventional distributor can make a huge difference, so the concept is valid, but in my experience the end result is not.

My opinion is save your money.
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

Who's to say what the current chip actually does. My Dinan chip from possibly twenty-years ago seemed only to run full advance in top gear versus the stock EPA configuration. Can't say there was a world of difference but it may have had slightly smoother power delivery in 5th. But I somehow doubt the current chip has anything to do with the Dinan chip of old, but I don't know. Steve Dinan wouldn't even know since he no longer owns the biz.
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

I'm surprised they still offer a chip for these old cars.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

I got one of the first 28-pin chips for our cars and I loved it for one reason.

My car hit the rev limiter before 6000 and with the Dinan chip I could go over 6000 so I could shift at 6k instead or 5750 or whatever. Don't know if the butt dyno noticed anything but that change in the shift point was worthy.
Hit Man X

Post by Hit Man X »

Tried one, no difference aside from the aforementioned high rev limiter.

I did notice a midrange difference with the E.A.T. chip from Dsylva. 2500-4500 is where is felt it and where most of one's driving is normally done. Top end past about 5200 felt the same.
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

The combination of a higher-ratio differential (a "poor man's supercharger") plus a good performance chip is what makes quite a bit of difference.

I bought my E24 in 1997 and within a month had installed a Dinan chip. I did notice a difference in power plus smoother running, but what really helped wake it up is installing a 3.90 differential. My E28 has a E.A.T. chip, with a 3.64 diff. The tighter gearing helps keep these engines "on the cam" more often and just makes them feel more lively. You just have to assess how you drive your car and select a final drive ratio you can live with. Something like a 3.90 or even a 3.64 might be a bit too much for someone who uses their car for a lot of long-distance trips.