533i tire thoughts...

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
jpmadden3

533i tire thoughts...

Post by jpmadden3 »

Let the learning begin...One of the things I failed to pay attention to when evaluating my 533i was the rim/tire setup.

I am sitting with original rims, with with 205/60 R14's on the rims...that were manufactored in 2012, and according the records I have, were put on the car in March of 2014. The tread on them is fine (supposedly only 20-25k miles put on between that time and now), but I have had a bad experience of old tires going bad, so I am committed to getting new tires.

That said, I read the Tire FAQ, I have read a couple of other posts, it seems like most folks go to 16" rims due to tire selection (my normal tire guy tells me there are no 14" tires in the country, my local Discount Tire shop shows/tell me they have a few options on hand, more that are 2-3 days out if need be). Though going to 15" seems like an interesting play too. Bentley tells me I can do 195/70 R14, which is the size of the DTC tires.

I am at the stage of trying to baseline, and confront painting (Bronzit...), I am not thinking that upgraded rims/performance tires is my next logical step...any reason NOT to do the 14's I can get? As in my other post(s), really trying to learn what I am NOT thinking/aware.

Your insight/coaching would be appreciated.

Regards
Joe
BMWCCA2

Re: 533i tire thoughts...

Post by BMWCCA2 »

I know I'm getting old but I pretty much recall the 533i coming standard with metric TRX wheels and tires.

And, yes, 16-inch wheels make far more sense today and there are many viable candidates among "stock" wheels from other BMW models.
a

Post by a »

14s are getting hard to find in anything but all season rated. 15s supposedly so. That leaves 16" wheels and tires. stock wheels were TRX metric sized with tiress that just plain sucked and were pricey to boot.
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Shawn D. »

As BMWCCA2, your 533i came with 200/60-390 TRXs (about 15.3").

Besides tire availability, you don't want 14s if you intend to do any variety of "big brake upgrade," as 14s will not fit over them. 15s will fit most (e.g. E32 and E34 brakes), and of course 16s will.

Going to 16s will give you many choices in either 205/55 or 225/50 sizes.
jpmadden3

Post by jpmadden3 »

Folks, thanks for the responses

Of course, you're right on the TRX side, and you're right on the 'All-weather' tires is all there really is.

Shawn D, the oversized brake thing is exactly the type of thing I wouldn’t know to think of until I bought stuff that didn’t fit 😐 -

Shawn D, I also appreciate the work on the FAQ, I have to confess, despite reading the ‘Read Me’ and checking Y, multiple times, I never quite got it, other than to realize the herculean task it would be to keep up with wheel/tire combos over the last 30+ years!

That said, I think what I am going to do is go the 14”, all-seasonal/performance I have found, continue to baseline, focus on paint, mechanical and take my time in searching for 16” rim/tire that will work for me (not sure about the big brake thing, but will allow for that).

Appreciate the responses, insight, and coaching!
Cheers
Joe
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

If tires are cheap enough you can use them in safety, your goal at this time while you wait for a hook up on some 16" wheels with either decent rubber or mt and put your own rubber on them. This will give you a chance to learn the different styles of wheels as well as the need to use hub centric rings for the E39 wheels that are the right size otherwise. Learn about the offset needed to have the fronts not rub the uprights and the left rear rub the inner fender or...while you get ready for paint, think about rolling the rear fenders for a bit more room.

And you also get to consider the 205/55-16 at all four corners vs. the staggered 205/55-16 and 225/50-16 set.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Since you are unsure exactly what direction you really want to go, just get some cheap 195/70s to throw on for now. Pretty much any brand new tire is going to be safer than 10 year old ones, not to mention 205/60-14 is the wrong size an about an inch too short. 215 or 225/60 would be the correct size on 14s, but I think they're obsolete and NLA. Since it seems you have at least a moderate budget, a near throwaway set of tires for a year or two isn't going to break said budget, while you decide on exactly what wheels and tires you really want on there, but should give you the peace of mind to have something recent for safety sake.
Joey28

Post by Joey28 »

I don't know, I vote for one and done. I found a good deal on a used set of 16" style 29s, fitted them with relatively cheap 205-55-16 (same size as on my wife's E46) in-house brand tires from Jack Williams and haven't looked back. To me, they're perfect for my otherwise stock 533i, and get it way closer to the handling the car should have, compared to the 14" set up that's really a sub-par replacement for what they came with from the factory. I'm always impressed by the way my E28 drives/handles on back roads, and with a good alignment the car runs straight as a bullet on the highway, encourages you to go as fast as you're able.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Just look at the names of the 195/70-14 tires in a google shopping search sorted low priced first. I guess they will be round and black without serious aging and would be just fine for a while.
jpmadden3

Post by jpmadden3 »

Thanks Blue Shadow, Joey28, and Mike W,

I did end up going with 195/70’s. IDK, if I had seen Joey’s comments before I pulled the trigger, I might have taken a different path – but these will get me through the next couple of years of tweaking/rehabbing/tuning.

Thanks again
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

For anyone else looking for 16-inch wheels: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 112l%22%7D