How To Make Exterior Lights Auto-Off?

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
jyl

How To Make Exterior Lights Auto-Off?

Post by jyl »

Suppose you wanted to have all exterior lights turn off when the ignition key is removed (so you don’t leave the lights on and kill your battery like I just did …) ideally with a timer.

Is there a clean way to do this without hacking up the factory wiring?
BMWCCA2

Re: How To Make Exterior Lights Auto-Off?

Post by BMWCCA2 »

There's a switch on the left-side of your dash—to the left of the steering wheel—made just for turning off the lights. Learn how it works and you'll be fine. ;)

However, I'm sure you could fabricate something with a relay, but you'd certainly have to alter the car's original wiring.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Yeah, it could be done. You would need to extract the output wires for the running lights from the headlight switch plug, then power a relay with the appropriate number of poles off the ignition switch. A timer would complicate things. But really, how often have you left the lights on? I freely admit I have been known to tilt at windmills, but I think you're more looking at a problem more than a solution.
demetk

Post by demetk »

BMWCCA2 wrote: Feb 22, 2022 11:54 PM There's a switch on the left-side of your dash—to the left of the steering wheel—made just for turning off the lights. Learn how it works and you'll be fine. ;)
:) Unfortunately some of us are getting older and forgetfulness is a thing now. To spare my brain cells from remembering, I use this simple circuit for "lights on" warning. I had a spare relay with an 87a pin and e28 gong that I used. Total cost $0. Wired it in the trunk and works perfectly.

Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Yeah, that would work and could be wired up under dash too. Without investing too much thought in it, I just remembered early BMWs, and I'm not sure about E28s, had a wire off the ignition switch that went hot with the key off. On Bavarias they used it to enable Euro style parking lights, where if the turn signal is on, the parking lights on that side only come on, key off. I know E12s had it, and they and early E28s used interchangable ignition switches, but I'm not sure about the later ones.
RonW

Post by RonW »

Headlight warning circuit:
http://e28-535i.com/upload/LightWarning.pdf

This uses the E28's existing chime unit to warn you if your exterior lights are on and the driver's door is open.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Not to highjack this too much but the better auto-off feature would be what BMW has incorporated into later models (e.g. E39): Interior Dome & Courtesy Lights and Trunk Light after you have left them open for an extended length of time.

I know the interior courtesy lights are tied to the light switch and can be turned off, but that is a global 'All Off-All the Time' command. It would be nice if I didn't have to mess around with the light switch all the time.
The trunk is particularly annoying since you have to pull the bulb to shut it off before it drains your battery down.

You figure those out and you might have an interesting endeavor.
demetk

Post by demetk »

vinceg101 wrote: Feb 23, 2022 7:53 PM The trunk is particularly annoying since you have to pull the bulb to shut it off before it drains your battery down.
That one is easy,

demetk

Post by demetk »

And auto lights on a $10 budget https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti70RkSVpO4. Some hacking required.
jyl

Post by jyl »

These are handy ideas. Thanks!

In addition to implementing one of these, I think I’ll put a USB charger port in the trunk for my mini jump-starter. Because it turns out that if you don’t keep them charged . . .
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

I should add, I can rant near endlessly about how much I dislike nanny devices. Seat belts? Yes, I've always worn them, I've even put them in cars they didn't come in, so don't rag at me because I didn't buckle up before I started the car. The key is in the ignition? Yes, I know, because I put it there, not stop bitching at me. (I've been known to disconnect the key buzzer before I got the car running, buying a non running car, those are my priorities)

But I do kind of like something to let me know I've left the lights on. So, while not wanting the overarching electronics, rather computer controlled E39 which puts the car to sleep. (if certain conditions are met) I do like I've left the lights on. I don't want an auto off, but chimes aren't bad.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

demetk wrote: Feb 23, 2022 9:14 PMThat one is easy,
So what am I looking at exactly?
demetk

Post by demetk »

That red toggle switch so you can turn off the trunk lights.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

demetk wrote: Feb 24, 2022 8:03 AM That red toggle switch so you can turn off the trunk lights.
Thought that might be it. So you just interrupted the wiring between the pressure switch and light bulb?
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

jyl wrote: Feb 23, 2022 11:10 PM These are handy ideas. Thanks!

In addition to implementing one of these, I think I’ll put a USB charger port in the trunk for my mini jump-starter. Because it turns out that if you don’t keep them charged . . .
Following an example by another board member, I installed a dual outlet in the trunk (one 12v cig lighter socket and one dual USB outlet) mounted to the bottom of the parcel tray. I connected power and ground to my battery distribution and ground blocks mounted to the back of the bulkhead that is powering the audio system. I also connected the keyless remote system to this distribution point.
Then in addition I have it all on a remote cut-off switch to keep battery drain to a minimum.
demetk

Post by demetk »

vinceg101 wrote: Feb 24, 2022 2:42 PM So you just interrupted the wiring between the pressure switch and light bulb?
Exactly.
Ju@n

Post by Ju@n »

mercedes benz w201 trunk switches have an extra position, if you pull the switch they disable lights.
http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/die ... witch.html