S54 swap driveshaft

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
jdp530

S54 swap driveshaft

Post by jdp530 »

Can anyone tell me what combination of driveshaft components I would need for an s54 swapped e28 / e24 with the 420g transmission? Thanks,

I do have a couple of drive shaft shops I could use if I need to have the front section shortened. Thanks,
Mike W.

Re: S54 swap driveshaft

Post by Mike W. »

There's only a couple of people here who have done that swap and I think both of them might have enlisted more than a little of the checkbook wrench. A nice swap I might add, but not one for the faint of heart. If I were you I'd search for those people and shoot them a PM.
bbaxter

Post by bbaxter »

Not sure if the s54 and s50 is the same length block. I think the external dimensions are the same. Anyway, I have an s50 in my e28 and I used the stock e28 driveshaft behind the s50's close-ratio 5speed. I hope this helps.
Philo

Post by Philo »

The S54 with the E46 G420 6 speed trans requires the front driveshaft section to be shortended 3". When I did my swap i mocked up a spare G280 next to the G420 and its 3" longer. I might have some pics of the work, need to look. Also, this all depends on engine placement. And make sure the trans output shaft points down the tunnel to the diff. I had a fitting made that slid over the trans output shaft and adapted a cheapo lazer to it to make sure the alignment was correct. I can loan it to you if you need.