New Replacement Numbers on Trunk

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
lswoboda

New Replacement Numbers on Trunk

Post by lswoboda »

Hello:

I have a 1988 535is that has a small dent on the face of the trunk adjacent to the numbers on the right side.

I think to repair the dent (ideally via PDR) I may have to remove the numbers.

Can I reuse the numbers or is it easier/better to simply replace them?

What would be a good source to use for replacements?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or comments.

LS
Mike W.

Re: New Replacement Numbers on Trunk

Post by Mike W. »

While they have to be removed carefully, you absolutely can reuse them, I have multiple times. Earlier cars used locating pins but I'm pretty sure by E28s they just used double faced tape. Pry gently with a putty knife, use dental floss, fishing line, or a combination to remove them. The bad news is they're soft aluminum, the good news is they're soft aluminum so you can bend them back if need be. Probably took longer to write this up than it will to remove it.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

I thought they were shiny coated plastic by the time the is was getting stuck with emblems. I might have to go look at the ones I have.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

You might be right on the plastic, it appears the one on a toolbox in my garage is plastic. But I'm not sure the originals weren't Al and later or replacements chromed plastic. Or maybe I'm just thinking of earlier cars.
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

Mike W. wrote: Jan 17, 2022 8:34 PM You might be right on the plastic, it appears the one on a toolbox in my garage is plastic. But I'm not sure the originals weren't Al and later or replacements chromed plastic. Or maybe I'm just thinking of earlier cars.
It depends on the model. But then this is an E28 list so: Plastic
garageboy

Post by garageboy »

BMWCCA2 wrote: Jan 17, 2022 8:46 PM
Mike W. wrote: Jan 17, 2022 8:34 PM You might be right on the plastic, it appears the one on a toolbox in my garage is plastic. But I'm not sure the originals weren't Al and later or replacements chromed plastic. Or maybe I'm just thinking of earlier cars.
Since I'm all about saving weight (so that the driver can have an additional taco), I removed mine. :rofl: It's stealthier. Würth Clean-Solv removes any remaining residue without harming the paint.

But why not let the PDR person make that determination before you mess with anything? Just have your dental floss ready to remove it at the time. But every PDR person I have used has been a master at his craft, so I let them work their magic without complicating things.
lswoboda

Post by lswoboda »

garageboy wrote: Jan 18, 2022 1:00 AM
BMWCCA2 wrote: Jan 17, 2022 8:46 PM
Since I'm all about saving weight (so that the driver can have an additional taco), I removed mine. :rofl: It's stealthier. Würth Clean-Solv removes any remaining residue without harming the paint.

But why not let the PDR person make that determination before you mess with anything? Just have your dental floss ready to remove it at the time. But every PDR person I have used has been a master at his craft, so I let them work their magic without complicating things.
Good point….I’ll make sure I find a good PDR guy and let them do their magic. Hopefully, they won’t have to come off at all.

Cheers!