Sloooow Retracting Seatbelts

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
jyl

Sloooow Retracting Seatbelts

Post by jyl »

Is there a practical way to make the seatbelts retract more fully and vigorously? Open up and clean/lube, replace springs, replace whole unit, chant magical incantations?

(Didn't find anything with searching.)
Mike W.

Re: Sloooow Retracting Seatbelts

Post by Mike W. »

Never really had a problem on my E28, but certainly on other cars. It has been discussed some, and some have had good luck with taking the mechanism apart and cleaning it. But on my problem child, it retracts just fine, it won't pull it thru the hanger up by your shoulder. There can be plenty of tension, but it's that hanger. Some speak of cleaning and washing, I tried that with no effect at all. My best luck has been with teflon spray, I did that on my Datsun and it made a difference for a while. Not like new, but definitely better. That was last summer and I need to do it again. Some like silicone spray, I used teflon as it seems to be to have less solvents in it so less likelihood of damaging the seat belt.

Good luck, YMMV and by all means let us know if you find the proverbial silver bullet.
jayjaya29

Post by jayjaya29 »

Clean belts with cleaner of choice, then spray lightly with silicone lube. Avoid spraying section that goes across your body when fastened.
jyl

Post by jyl »

Thanks! I will try all of this and report back.