Getrag 250 swap?

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Chrisjmyron23

Getrag 250 swap?

Post by Chrisjmyron23 »

Has anyone done one to an ETA e28? I have all these materials to swap out the automatic transmission and was seeing if I can Frankenstein something together with parts I already have. I'm also questioning what I would have to do as for driveshaft maybe Frankenstein my own as well?
Parts I have include:
E30 clutch pedal assembly with clutch master cylinder
Rebuilt g250
Dual mass clutch and flywheel
E30 transmission brace and mounts
Before anyone says anything about the g250 I know it's a relatively weak transmission but im sure it can handle the eta M20s neck snapping 160hp. If you guys have any idea of what else I would appreciate some feedback thanks

-Topher
wkohler

Re: Getrag 250 swap?

Post by wkohler »

Angle is wrong since its suited to the M50.
Chrisjmyron23

Post by Chrisjmyron23 »

Do u think I can get away with one of those braces condor speedshop sells
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Chris has a point about it being the wrong angle, but I don't know if it's a deal killer or not. It might be. What are M5x, vertical? And M20s 20 or 30 degrees off. You might have to do some math or mockups to determine if the tunnel is wide enough to accommodate the increased width of a side angled tranny. The transmission mount might have to be custom, might even require a bit of welding, but I wouldn't think would be a deal killer.

And it needs some room, keep in mind it's on rubber mounts and moves around a bit, so if it just barely clears, it probably doesn't when you're actually driving. Since I've seen people intentionally bend the shift lever you might be ok on that score, but it's going to take a pretty good bend. Linkage would be custom, but I think doable.

If you have good enough fabrication skills, it's probably doable, but at what cost, both time and energy. Keep in mind BMW driveshafts are expensive to work on, last time I looked into it I was quoted somewhere in the $3-400 range to shorten a D/S. Assuming that's still the case, or worse, that might skew the numbers enough to make it just as expensive, but with lots more work than finding a used 260/5.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Putting this transmission in the car is akin to the hey my buddy just gave me this turbo can I use it on my E28.

M50 angle is 30° vs 20° for the M20. All of the parts made to put an M20 trans on an M50 will not work.
austin8753

Post by austin8753 »

short answer: sure, you *can*, but i wouldn't even waste the effort. it will never be right.

the Getrag 260 is infinitely superior in every way and will bolt right up and function like stock, because, well, that's how they came...