Sport Seat Removal Troubles

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Mike MPD

Sport Seat Removal Troubles

Post by Mike MPD »

I made a deal to sell my parts car but part of the agreement was that I can keep the seats. Problem is, I cant get them out!

On both driver and passenger side only the headrest power function works, ironic I know. Ive searched around and the drill on the motor trick worked for the passenger side so Ill be able to slide it forward and back to get the seat rail bolts out, but the little nub for the s2 bit is completely broken on the drivers side motor so that trick wont work there.

Are there any other solutions short of the angle grinder? Is it possible to remove the seat from the bases while it's still in the car? All I really want is the bolsters so id be fine with leaving the bases behind if necessary.
Ju@n

Re: Sport Seat Removal Troubles

Post by Ju@n »

when you say that the "bit" on the motor is broken off, do you mean there's nothing left to grab?
I honestly never used the drill trick, because a flat screwdriver and 5 minutes of your time spinning the engine usually moves them enough
Mike MPD

Post by Mike MPD »

Here is a photo of what I mean. End is broken off so the be it by drill or by hand the bit will just spin in there without actually turning the motor. Is there another method I'm overlooking?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ygIOWb ... p=drivesdk
demetk

Post by demetk »

Comforts are attached to the base with 4 10mm bolts that are accessable from under the seat bottoms. It should be the same with the sports.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

If you can get in there to the wiring, stick a pin thru each wire, and use little alligator clip hook up cables connected to 12V (or whatever) and you should be able to motor them. Alternatively, dig into the body wiring by the E brake and hook in there to the wires going to the seat switches. I did that one time to get sport seats out of an E24 in a junkyard. Requires the seat switches, but you likely have them. I think I used a 19.2 battery in the yard off a cordless drill, but for that brief application thru skinny wires (think voltage drop) I didn't fry anything.
Ju@n

Post by Ju@n »

Mike MPD wrote: Nov 29, 2021 1:27 PM Here is a photo of what I mean. End is broken off so the be it by drill or by hand the bit will just spin in there without actually turning the motor. Is there another method I'm overlooking?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ygIOWb ... p=drivesdk
Uff, I'd grab a small flat screw driver, put some kind of glue on the tip (something strong) and try turning it
You can also try to bend the broken part back and ziptie it together