Alternator Woodruff Key Preventing Installation of Pulley.

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
phlurbis

Alternator Woodruff Key Preventing Installation of Pulley.

Post by phlurbis »

hello i am having an problem with my alternator i have just received a replacement alternator for my replacement alternator because my replacement alternator had a small bump preventing me from installing the old parts and now i am having the same problem for the replacement thanks you for taking your time to read my message thank you
Last edited by phlurbis on Oct 29, 2021 12:34 AM, edited 2 times in total.
Blue Shadow

Re: hello

Post by Blue Shadow »

HI

I got no idea what you are having trouble with other than it is the alternator.

No limit on words to describe the problem and I see you have already linked pictures so maybe a combination of lots of words and some good pictures with circles and arrows on them with descriptions and we can point you in a direction of getting it done.

Welcome to the fixing e28s side of the forum.
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Shawn D. »

phlurbis, please edit the thread title to reflect the issue.
phlurbis

Post by phlurbis »

Blue Shadow wrote: Oct 25, 2021 3:27 AM HI

No limit on words to describe the problem and I see you have already linked pictures so maybe a combination of lots of words and some good pictures with circles and arrows on them with descriptions and we can point you in a direction of getting it done.

Hi this is how i can describe my issue. The attachments display the a small piece of metal built into the side of the alternator shafts, not present on the original alternator, preventing me from installing the fan, pulley, and hardware as stated in the instructions. thank you again for the warm welcome and taking the time to read my post :)

Last edited by phlurbis on Oct 26, 2021 12:07 AM, edited 1 time in total.
phlurbis

Post by phlurbis »

phlurbis wrote: Oct 25, 2021 10:45 PM
Blue Shadow wrote: Oct 25, 2021 3:27 AM HI

Hi this is how i can describe my issue. The attachments display the a small piece of metal built into the side of the alternator shafts, not present on the original alternator, preventing me from installing the fan, pulley, and hardware as stated in the instructions. thank you again for the warm welcome and taking the time to read my post :)

http://imgur.com/gallery/Mq8z0Gf
HELLO.

I HAVE SOLVED THE PROBLEM!

THIS IS CALLED A WOODRUFF KEY.

I TOOK IT OUT.

THANK YOU :D
phlurbis

Post by phlurbis »

Shawn D. wrote: Oct 25, 2021 9:26 PM phlurbis, please edit the thread title to reflect the issue.
thank you for your service :wrenchtime: :puke:
Blue Shadow

Re: alternator bump

Post by Blue Shadow »

Yes, that is the correct name for that part. They are there to engage the pulley with the rotating shaft to prevent slipping on many kinds of shafts.

Glad you got the issue solved.
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Shawn D. »

phlurbis wrote: Oct 26, 2021 12:04 AM
Shawn D. wrote: Oct 25, 2021 9:26 PM phlurbis, please edit the thread title to reflect the issue.
thank you for your service :wrenchtime: :puke:
I have no idea what you meant by that, but your new title is still terrible. Why did you not change it to what you now know the issue is? Something like "Alternator Woodruff Key Preventing Installation of Pulley."