UUC Swaybars

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
rrrs

UUC Swaybars

Post by rrrs »

Is there someone that successfully mounted UUC sway bar set?
I got a set of their 27mm front / 22mm rear sway bars including adjustable front links and bushings with brackets.
It all looks really well made but really do not understand how is one supposed to mount much larger, 2 bolt hole brackets onto stock brackets that are on the car.
I did manage to speak to Arjun from UUC and he told me "they should just bolt directly to your stock brackets, I got them mounted on my car"....
Recently tried to call again to get some help/pictures, but impossible to get them on the phone.

Was wondering if there is someone using this setup and would not mind sharing some photos of the mounting points?
I can see that fronts could be made to work probably changing the brackets on the car to the M5 style, but really can not see how to get rear once to work.
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Re: UUC Swaybars

Post by Shawn D. »

Arjun has an M5. He apparently assumed all E28s have the same mounts. So, yes, you will have to use M5 or some aftermarket brackets (I have some, but don't recall the source).
rrrs

Post by rrrs »

Yes, but I thought that at least rear mounts are same on M5 E28 and regular E28/E24 (my car is actually '85 E24).

Also, UUC sales difference swaybar sets for E28/E24 and M5/M6; this is why it is really confusing...
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

I don't know what the coupe has but those bars on a stock E28 will rip the sway bar link attachment points off the strut towers and be very difficult to mount to the front frame rails with stock mount. At the rear the sway bar mounts will rip off the car. They are only spot welded a couple places on two sides.

You need to do some searching for rear bar mount reinforcements, strut tower link attachment getting boxed and front mounts replaced with M5 mounts now NLA but reproduced by one seller and an alternate style also being sold in the parts for sale section. Get a welder and make the chassis ready to accept the increased forces.

The info is out there, it isn't hard to make these reinforcements.

Now after looking at realoem, the M635 did have a 25mm front bar but I don't know the car enough to see if it had different brackets on the body for the bar compared to the non-€ 6ers since the M6 didn't have the larger bar.

Time to get some pics of the M635CSi sway bar mounting system up front since it seems it will be different from the reinforced or M5 units.
rrrs

Post by rrrs »

OK, got it, will have to look into fabricating my own solution; it will be particular tricky in the back where the stock bracket is much smaller than what I would need.
I do have Power flex rear bushings that would fit M5 rear 19mm sway bar and stock body bracket, but there was no way to make them fit around UUC 22mm bar.
For the front seems will be easy to remove OEM mounts and put in M5 style.

The shame is that I bought those clearly for the reason that I was told they would be a "bolt-on" solution, but I can see there would be no way to use that stock front mounts with 27mm bar.