Speakers for rear shelf 87 535is

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Mashford

Re: Speakers for rear shelf 87 535is

Post by Mashford »

Joey28 wrote: May 16, 2022 9:43 AM
I used these guys for a repair kit for my parents' Toyota Sienna door speakers that had bad foam rings:

https://www.speakerworks.com/foam-surro ... g-s/63.htm

I was happy with them. Provided they have a size to match.
[/quote]

Hmmmm... the cone is actually a paper type cone (see photo). I think separating it from the ring would destroy it, but I will take a look. Thanks.
kojo96

Post by kojo96 »

Mashford wrote: May 16, 2022 8:06 AM
kojo96 wrote: May 15, 2022 8:58 PM OP, if you're talking about this particular speaker (above) -
"For now, one rear speaker is “blown” (the base is rattling and vibrating at low-normal volume), so thought I would replace both. Thanks for any advice/recommendations."

It may be a easy repair, what you are describing is very common and and an easy fix. If the speaker is making sound, it very well may be that the rubber "ring" has lost it's ability to seal and will cause the exact symptom you are describing. Pull the speaker out and on a desk, gently try to lift the rubber ring, dollar to a donut it's loose and will cause the exact symptom you are having. The fix is to GENTLY lift that rubber ring and glue it down, do so on the entire bottom surface (use a quality glue). When done, place something with a little weight on top to get a good seal. Should be good after that. Image for reference to the ring
Thanks. I pulled the speaker and indeed it was loose on one side, and the rest came up all around the circumference with light pressure... it seems to have been coming off. Any recommendations for a quality glue? Would E6000 do the trick?
I'm not familiar with E6000 but any branded contact cement for rubber to metal will work.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

The go to glue for speaker surrounds for the vintage audio set is Aleene's Tacky Glue. Craft stores, Walmart etc, a few bucks. Gives a tacky set up and enough work time to get the cone centered so the voice coil doesn't rub whether that is done with a tone, shims, voltage or music.

Some of the surround suppliers provide speaker surround glue in their kits. Rick Cobb is a good source for audio speaker surrounds don't know what he has as far as auto speaker surrounds. He is looneytunes2001 on the bay.
Last edited by Blue Shadow on May 16, 2022 11:40 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

E6000 is in the middle of the line of shoe goo and seal all that is the thinnest of the trio. I haven't used the 6000 yet but expect it to be a much more spreadable glue compared to the shoe goo in all its different names.

Eclectic makes these products. I would not use them for speaker surrounds but might sample the seals all product. But I've had good luck with the Aleene's so continue with that. Probably on my third bottle in the last 20 years.
Joey28

Post by Joey28 »

Mashford wrote: May 16, 2022 10:27 AM
Joey28 wrote: May 16, 2022 9:43 AM
I used these guys for a repair kit for my parents' Toyota Sienna door speakers that had bad foam rings:

https://www.speakerworks.com/foam-surro ... g-s/63.htm

I was happy with them. Provided they have a size to match.
Hmmmm... the cone is actually a paper type cone (see photo). I think separating it from the ring would destroy it, but I will take a look. Thanks.
[/quote]
If the speaker paper is really crumbly then it won't work anyway, but I separated the crumbly foam surround from the (paper) Toyota speaker with a Xacto knife. I was really pleased with the results.

BTW- I have one of these speakers in my garage. It came from my old 93 E32 and is the same model- 4ohm 40W Nokie in good condition. I have two of the E32 rear speaker assemblies with woofer and tweeter. Other speaker is almost same- just 4-6 ohm, 40W, same cond.
Mashford

Post by Mashford »

Joey28 wrote: May 17, 2022 5:58 AMIf the speaker paper is really crumbly then it won't work anyway, but I separated the crumbly foam surround from the (paper) Toyota speaker with a Xacto knife. I was really pleased with the results.

BTW- I have one of these speakers in my garage. It came from my old 93 E32 and is the same model- 4ohm 40W Nokie in good condition. I have two of the E32 rear speaker assemblies with woofer and tweeter. Other speaker is almost same- just 4-6 ohm, 40W, same cond.
Thanks Everyone!!! For some reason, I didn't catch the suggestions for the right kind of glue and went with the E6000 household (I will check my alerts for new postings). Joey28, the paper is intact(though seems very dry); thanks for offering a new speaker -- I think I am in working order (for now). I just reinstalled both speakers after re-gluing with E6000 household and they are not vibrating/rattling <<at all>> anymore. I isolated each speaker on fader and balance and played the songs that were distorting, and they sounded good enough for me (no distortion!). I am very happy. Thank you all! Crossing my fingers it holds up!

After I diagnose the rain leak (as per my other open thread), I will reinstall the back seat and seatbelts. I took the time while everything was out to lay in some Dynamat(r), so hoping I will have a quieter, pleasanter music experience after it's all back together. On other fronts, engine is running like a top, electrical has a few glitches to catch up with, and exterior is looking sharp with a recent (cheap, but effective) new paint job.

Rockin' and rollin',

Mike